Did you mean: 

Big loss of sync speed and lots of packet loss

FIXED
andrewuk
Fixes: 1

Big loss of sync speed and lots of packet loss

Good evening all

Hoping someone can do me proud Smiley

This evening I have noticed that everything has more or less ground to a halt. In fact it may have started yesterday evening but I didn't think too much of it at the time. I've been with Plusnet for a few years now and had zero problems so I though it a bit unusual.

Anyway, being an IT guy, I thought I'd try the usual fixes and turn it off and on again but that didn't help and it prompted me to check my router stats.

I noticed that my sync speed has dropped right off! Usually I sync at around 76000 kbps downstream and the full 20000 upstream with room to spare but now the stats look like this:

Upstream Downstream

Current Rate(kbps)     2516           12125

Max Rate(kbps)          2535            13552

SNR Margin(dB)          6.1               5.4

Line Attenuation(dB)    4.1               8.7

Errors(pkts)                   0                  0

The line is pretty short going to the green FTTC cab up the street as can be seen by the attenuation stats.

I am also noticing that pretty much everything is timing out, I can't ping anything without very high latency or just time outs.

Other stuff I have tried:

1. Unplugging all the other phones in the house

2. My router connects to the master socket anyway, but I removed the faceplate and plugging directly into the test socket behind but no change

3. Turning off all the Christmas lights in case of interference (they've been up for 2 weeks though with no issues)

4. Checked the dial tone on the phone and that's nice and clear with no crackling

I am wondering if there is a fault someone outside or at the exchange that could be causing this? There is nothing reported in my postcode area on the Openreach faults site.

4 REPLIES 4
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Big loss of sync speed and lots of packet loss

Hi @andrewuk,

I'm sorry to see that you've been experiencing these issues. I've tested your line today and discovered an external fault, which I've raised to our suppliers for further investigation. I've raised a ticket on your account regarding this and for further information,you can view the ticket here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
andrewuk

Fix

That's great (well not great, but you know what I mean!)

It's been up and down all day with wildly varying sync speeds so must be a dodgy link somewhere. They were in fact doing road works around the FTTC green cabinet a couple of weeks ago adding one of those G.fast Pods and an extra FTTC cabinet so I wonder if while they were digging the road and hammering away with pneumatic drills if a connection came loose somewhere.

Anyway thanks for the fast response, hopefully it'll be sorted in time for Christmas Netflix and chill Smiley

andrewuk

Just a shout out to Plusnet, and in turn Openreach for arranging resolution of this so fast. The Openreach engineer actually came yesterday (the day after I reported the fault) but we were out shopping so he came back this morning.

First he replaced our oldish master socket with one of the newer NTE 5C which I think is just standard practice. It didn't make any difference so he went off to the FTTC cabinet at the end of the street. It turns out the tie cable from the PCP to the FTTC cab had become damaged from corrosion so he renewed all the cabling. 

Anyway, the upshot is I'm back to normal speed, with the added bonus that the downstream and upstream maximum attainable rates have actually gone up by 10mbit and 20mbit, so in time once DLM has done it's thing, I'm hoping that I'll get the full 80Mbit sync down again which had slowly degraded to about 60Mbit over the years.

So that's outstanding service for a non-business residential contract. Especially given the time of year so top marks to Plusnet and Openreach.

Improved stats:

Upstream               Downstream
Current Rate(kbps)      20000                 69801
Max Rate(kbps)           28722                 84528
SNR Margin(dB)         12.1                     6.1
Line Attenuation(dB)   16.7                    7.3
Errors(pkts)                 0                         0

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear they were able to find an issue.

Let us know if the problems return

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team