Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big drop in download speed but sync unaffected

FIXED
GeoJ1
Hooked

Big drop in download speed but sync unaffected

Hi,

Upgraded from ADSL to Unlimited Fibre (40/10) around 10th August and was happy to get sync of 40/10 and transfers at 37/8.

However I checked yesterday and was disappointed to see that it's now 11.74 down and 8.3 up, but the sync remains at 40...

Latest tests done over Ethernet, with all WiFi disabled, using the test socket.

Think Broadband:

Thu 16/08/2018 22:07 - 36.67 Mbps / 8.23 Mbps - initial FTTC working well
Thu 30/08/2018 11:18 - 11.74 Mbps / 8.30 Mbps - yesterday :-(

Router stats (Hub One):

6. Data rate:	9999 / 39950
7. Maximum data rate:	19447 / 53389
8. Noise margin:	12.9 / 10.1
9. Line attenuation:	20.2 / 17.3
10. Signal attenuation:	20.1 / 17.3

The PlusNet high speed broadband page:

Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 49Mb and 70Mb) - Checked on 2017-11-04 14:11:03
Current line speed:
12.4 Mb

BT Wholesale test:

Download Speed(Mbps): 11.17 Mbps 
Upload Speed(Mbps) : 15.85 Mbps 
Ping Latency(ms): 28 ms 

and then:

1. Best Effort Test: 
Download Speed : 11.17 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: 
Upload Speed : 5.12 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

DSL checker:

VDSL Range A (Clean)	70.3	49	20	13.9	40	
VDSL Range B (Impacted)	55.6	35	17.4	9.5	27.4

I spoke to tech support a couple of times and was told:

1: Shouldn't have installed the Hub One on ADSL, before the VDSL was active because hub can get confused about what service it's on. This doesn't seem to have caused a problem as the initial speed tests were good.

2: Shouldn't have turned the hub off for a week when I went on holiday, because the service can decide there's a problem and downgrade speeds. It's been running nearly week now since being switched off.

Thanks

Does this look like a profile/throttling issue or something else?

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Big drop in download speed but sync unaffected

Hi @GeoJ1

Current line speed:
12.4 Mb

That's not right, given your sync speed, it should be around 38Mb. My guess would be that the current line speed setting has reverted back to your old ADSL value due to a late delta report. However, this setting doesn't restrict the speed for most connections nowadays, unless you have a static IP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Fix

Hi @GeoJ1,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing poor speeds at the moment and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

As you've mentioned, the line is currently syncing at 40mbps down and 10mbps up, and our tests aren't picking up any issues:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 541.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-08-30T08:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-08-30T12:49:19Z 2018-08-30T13:04:19Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

However, the connection profile on your account was set lower so I've adjusted this now to try and resolve this issue. Please can you reboot your router and let us know if you continue to experience poor speeds? If so, we'll investigate this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
GeoJ1
Hooked

Hi @EmilyD

Thank you, that's a lot better! Now getting: 37.2 / 8.5

Any idea what caused this?

GeoJ1
Hooked

Hi @MisterW

Yes I am on a fixed IP. Been with PlusNet a long time.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @GeoJ1 

I'm afraid we can't actually give you a solid answer on this one...

Initial testing didn't throw up any indicative reasoning and now things are looking good again, its somewhat difficult to diagnose a fault/issue retrospectively. 

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us if you need ever need more assistance. 

Thanks,

MoR

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@GeoJ1

Yes I am on a fixed IP

Any idea what caused this?

Well, ultimately the Current Line speed setting of 12.4Mb caused the big drop in download speed, and @EmilyD resetting it fixed the problem.

As to what caused the current line speed to be set to 12.4Mb well that's the $64,000 question! It's supposed to track changes in the BT profile.

I spoke to tech support a couple of times and was told:

1: Shouldn't have installed the Hub One on ADSL, before the VDSL was active because hub can get confused about what service it's on. This doesn't seem to have caused a problem as the initial speed tests were good.

2: Shouldn't have turned the hub off for a week when I went on holiday, because the service can decide there's a problem and downgrade speeds. It's been running nearly week now since being switched off.

TBH both of those answers are rubbish! Using the Hub One on ADSL prior to the upgrade shouldn't cause any problem. As to turning it off for a week causing the DLM to decide there's a problemRoll_eyes Switching on & off repeatedly will cause the DLM to think there's a problem but a single off & then on a week later, No!.

Not having it on for a week shortly after the upgrade, may have delayed the profile change report from ADSL to VDSL speeds but that's purely conjecture...

Just keep an eye on the Current Line speed for a while and check that it doesn't change again.

As I said earlier, Current Line speed is no longer used to control the speed on most connections, only those with static IP's so some of the CSC staff may not consider it as a problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.