cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Speed Loss On Our FTC

ImdurC
Hooked

Big Speed Loss On Our FTC

Over the last month I've noticed quite a massive drop in speed on our fibre connection. For context, we typically get roughly 31-42MB on our connection. However, while trying to watch 1080p60 Twitch streams recently, I'd noticed some skipping. Fair enough, this happens sometimes. So, I dropped to 720p60 and it was still stuttering. "It's never been that bad," I thought.

On a whim, I checked my speed via an online speed test and it was 29MB. Oh... I reset the modem and router (2 minute wait time) and when I reconnected, the speed was pretty much the same.

During last month, I did notice noise on our line which could be quite bad, but I think that mostly cleared up. So, at the moment, I don't know what's causing such a massive drop in speed. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Big Speed Loss On Our FTC

@ImdurC

When does this occur (morning/afternoon/evening/night)?

It may be congestion, or interference.

How did you determine there was noise, was it via the phone , ie hisses/crackles/hums/background white noise)?,

or are you monitoring the SNR on a constant basis?

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @ImdurC,

Please accept my apologies for the issue with your broadband performance.

After testing the line, your connection appears stable but the speed is lower than the estimates. Could you kindly connect your router to the test socket and if the issue persists, raise a fault.

Once complete, let us know on here so we can pick it up as soon as possible for you.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
ImdurC
Hooked

@dws1900 I tested both last night (the dead of night!) and tonight and it's the same each time. I don't think congestion is the problem. The noise was evident just by taking a call and finding it difficult to hear the caller at times.

@Jubby Thanks for the assistance. Honestly, I don't know how to connect to the master socket because, well, we're on fibre and the cable links all the way to a modem in my small office (15ft away). So, I'm not sure how we could connect the router to the master socket. Btw, we're still on our 2013 modem!

Should we raise a fault or is there anything else worth doing first?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I take it you don't have access to the room where the socket is to connect the modem into? It would still be worth trying if you can, otherwise it would then be best to report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ImdurC
Hooked

The socket is near our front door, so it's not difficult to get to. However, I don't see how it connects. Unless I'm missing something... Anyway, I think I'll just lodge a fault at that link.

EDIT: A fault has been logged Smiley

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @ImdurC, thanks for raising that.

I've tested the line and although I'm not detecting an actual fault, I can see that you are now syncing approximately 3mbps below your minimum line speed.

Due to this, I've raised a fault to BTWholesale for further investigation.

We expect an update within the next 72 working hours, at which point we'll update the ongoing fault ticket.

You'll receive notification that we've updated the ticket shortly - you don't need to take any action at this time.