Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Drop in Speeds

AndyPlus
Dabbler

Big Drop in Speeds

Hi,
Moved over to Plusnet Fibre in August last year. Well happy with the whole moving process. Plusnet staff were all very helpful. Speed has been generally very good - mostly in the mid high 30s. Last month or so started to have more dips into the low teens. No problem because I always accept this will happen occasionally. Last few days have seen a big deterioration. Last few evenings I have been getting less than 3.5 Mbps. Now TV has barely been watchable. Speeds so far today have been 3.31 and 4.94 (using OOKLA speedtest).
Can anybody at Plusnet help me with this?
11 REPLIES 11
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Big Drop in Speeds

Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped.
Our tests aren't showing any issues and there's no profile issues.
Were these tests ran over a wired connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyPlus
Dabbler

Thank you for replying so promptly Matthew.
All tests have been wireless.Should I try a wired connection as well?
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It is the next thing to try as I suspect the issue is to do with wireless rather then everything else.
If the speeds are fine over a wired connection I'd recommend following the steps in the link below
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
Let us know if your still having any issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyPlus
Dabbler

Thank you Matthew. I will get back to you later on this afternoon with the wired results.
Couple of points, if I may. I have hard reset the router a few times over the last couple of months. Usually results in an immediate improvement but only for a day or so. I am always checking the channel I am on (using WIFI Radar) and I do not have any problems in that area. All other factors (positioning, other equipment etc) are the same as it has been since last August.
Thanks
AndyPlus
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,
The good news is I have just done the wired speed test (using BT site) and the speed is 38.64 Mbps. The OOkla wireless speed test on my tablet showed 34.79 Mbps. So far so good!
I will test it again on and off over the next few days and let you know how I get on.
One more thing if I may. We started having problems with our landline phone early in January. People said they could not hear us due to bad noise. However we could hear them fine. This was an intermittent fault. With hindsight this is about the same time our broadband speed started to deteriorate. This was reported to you on 14 Jan. The chap on the phone said he could not find a fault but would monitor the line. You sent me a text on 18 Jan to say BT had found a fault and fixed it. All was well and good for a couple of weeks. The problem has now come back. Again only intermittently. How can I get this looked at again? Should I report it on the phone forum?
Many thanks for your help with this. Very helpful.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Same symptoms as previously?
Can you confirm you've tried a single handset in to the master socket for me and I'll get the phone line tested and raised.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
AndyPlus
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.
It is exactly the same fault as reported to you in January. And would assume it is the problem that BT found.
We have never had a problem hearing the other caller at our end. We tried buying new phones and even changed the filter. Have tried both wired and wireless phones and we have had the problem with more than one caller. Although it is intermittent.
Thanks once again for your help.
AndyPlus
Dabbler

Funny enough just made a call and had the same problem. I could hear the other person fine. They could hardly hear me - "very crackly" was the term they used. I had to ring off and use my mobile.
Just thought I'd mention it.
Chris
Legend

I've just been through a line test and no fault was detected, but as it's intermittent it may just be that I tested it at the wrong time. I'll try another test and see what the results are.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Still seeing no issues on a line test, the next step is an engineer visit. I've dropped a ticket with the info you need on your account, you can have a look and reply at https://contactus.plus.net
AndyPlus
Dabbler

Thanks for your help Chris.