Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better speeds "in" a power cut.

arttechuk
Grafter

Better speeds "in" a power cut.

Hi'
Can someone explain this please.

Since my bb has been stable around 2 years now I've always got 49mb down and 17mb up, but im paying for 75mb line i think, but engineer has been out and said there is nothing wrong with my line the speed i have is the max i can get, so i just go along with it but, The village i live in had a power cut just over a week ago, however as we have solar backup it does not effect us so much, anyway i thought i would do a "adsl speed test" while the village was without power and was shocked at my results 75mb down and 18mb up and after the power was put back on i did another test and i was back to the usual 49mb down 17mb up, Something doesn't add up here?

I've added the speed test results from
1) during power cut
2) after power cut
3) today's test

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Better speeds "in" a power cut.

Normally I would put it down to cross talk but that difference is so extreme I wonder if there is a local source of interference which wasn't there during the power cut

The only other thing I would ask - did you resync the line during the power cut because if you didn't it wouldn't be down to line speed and the only other question is whether the tests were wired or wireless

arttechuk
Grafter

Thanks for this.
Not sure what you mean by "did i resync" the line.
the power went off at 06:30 and i woke up at 08:00 then plugged the pc router monitor into the solar system and powered it up and was using it most of the day then i did the speed test and i always use Ethernet if im to test and always from the same main pc.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

the fact that you needed to manually power up the router did indicate a resync so the sync speed to the exchange would have changed which - given the big change in speed - could point to a local interference source as cross talk doesn't usually have that significant an effect

Local being between your house and the fibre cab

arttechuk
Grafter

being on the end if my village and the next thing you come to will be the exchange its hard to believe there is anything to interfere as its just me then a field then the exchange, but yes there could be pylons and over head electric cables but that's it.

Is there anything i can do to get the full 75mb.?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

very doubtful

arttechuk
Grafter

so i look forward to the next village power cut then Smiley
Thanks for the reply's i appreciate it.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Just because there's only a field between you and the Exchange doesn't mean that's where your phone cable goes. It'll probably go from the Exchange to a cabinet in the village and then out to your house.

Brian

arttechuk
Grafter

ya true

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Many years ago I had an adsl line which at best managed 4.5mb on a snr ratio of 3. During a village-wide power cut the backup batteries kicked in and  I noticed that the snr ratio had jumped to  >15