cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get wifi in garden shed?

hilarycrisp

Best way to get wifi in garden shed?

Hi, I have Plusnet Unlimited Fibre and want to use wifi (or cabled internet) in my garden shed/workshop. What's the best & cheapest way to do that, as the wifi signal doesn't reach? Can I use the electricity (as it has power and sockets) or another way.
Thanks
Hils x
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Best way to get wifi in garden shed?

HomePlugs will do it although you may need the 500 version to get full fibre speed - depends on your actual fibre speed
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

A home-made Cantenna would do the trick, though would require a wifi card with an external antenna input:
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
Or invest in a router that has a decent wifi output, my D-Link DIR-615, although old now, can reach 35 meters through to the garden through 16" stone walls without any modifications, not quite to my shed (about 50m), but still pretty impressive... Smiley
hillyfields123
Grafter

I'd agree with Jim on this one. However I've heard about people having issues with homeplugs when they're on different circuits. The age of the fuse box can also determine whether they'll talk to each bother or not in some cases.
Feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong because it's only things I've seen in passing on forums when researching them.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Can you route an ethernet cable: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/12786-broadbandbuyer-bb-external-cat6/ ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tonycollinet
Grafter

I subscribe to the:
"If I'd wanted it not to work, I'd have used wireless" theory.
So if  you can, run an Ethernet cable.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As others have said, homeplugs should work for what you're trying to achieve. If you know someone that has a pair of them you could maybe ask to borrow them briefly just to check?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.