Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time to re-sync ?

CBR600
Grafter

Best time to re-sync ?

Hi all
When is the best time to do a re-sync to get the best line speed?
I did the last one between 17:45 - 18:45 when i got my new modem/router.
Is it better to do it during the day ? Does the weekend make any difference ?
My attainable rate has increased significantly since i swapped the equipment but actual rate has remained the same.
Thanks
ps whats with the lack of CRT responses to posts lately ?
14 REPLIES 14
bugs4me
Grafter

Re: Best time to re-sync ?

As far as I know, the re-sync is automatic.
You will never in my experience exceed your Attainable with your actual although they do get closer.
Looks as though the Billion has worked as your last reported speeds with the BT modem and router seemed considerably lower if I remember correctly. Looks as though you're getting a reasonable speed considering the attenuation. No point in fine tuning the SNR on the router as with fibre this has no effect.
As an aside, once (or if) they enable G.INP on your line that may give you a small increase in download speed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't consider an increase from 43Mb to 48Mb small which is what I got along with a drop in ping from about 20 to 10
bugs4me
Grafter

@Oldjim - agreed but until BTW replace some of their antiquated copper wiring (which means never) then it all appears a bit hit and miss.
G.INP was enabled on my line and I gained an extra 10% or so - as the Americans say - your mileage may vary.
CBR600
Grafter

Thanks bugs.
I need to let it go now and stop being so OCD about it.
I've replied to my support ticket asking if theres anything that can be done but no reply.
Not even a go away and stop bothering us  Tongue
PlusNet is not what it used to be but i'm stuck with them for now.
When you're on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of speed every little bit you can squeeze out helps.
bugs4me
Grafter

A common courtesy acknowledgement wouldn't go amiss would it - but that seems to be the way most customer service is going these days.
I'm only with Plusnet as the deal offered was good so for now all okay. Changing ISP's wouldn't affect the speed as the laws of physics comes into play.
Going OT - I take it with a name CBR600 you ride a Honda
CBR600
Grafter

Thats correct  Grin
Old school 95 but goes like a rocket !
I was with BT originally and their customer service was appalling so jumped at the chance to join PlusNet.
I'll be going back to BT or maybe try Sky next.
PlusNet don't seem to be bothered and just want to get rid of you as fast as possible.
I've got a few threads going here and have noticed in others not so much as a peep from CRT.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If by resync you mean rebooting your router, always during daylight never at night, so 7am too 6pm.  Also its how you do it do a clean reboot, never just turn it off or use the reboot option from the web interface as BT can and will fail to see it as a clean disconnection.
So disable the PPP connection and give it a minute and then reboot so BT's system sees its an intended disconnection and not a fault/lost connection.
But if gateway hopping that is a favorite past time for plusnet customers, any time of the day.  Just make sure you only disable the WAN PPP connection and not reboot by mistake.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The safest way is to drop the PPP connection, wait about a minute and then just power-off for an absolute minimum of 30 minutes, preferably an hour, but make sure that your SNRM is not below 6, preferably better than 6.4 before you do it. As Gus say, never after dark, best an hour after sunrise to an hour before sunset (to have sync back).
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Anotherone hi is there a way for those on  Open reach ECI modems who can't see stats find out what their SNRM is before doing a Modem reboot if one is needed or is it a case of shot in the dark for us. 
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, buy a vDSL modem/router whose stats you can access Grin
Sorry, had my sarcastic head on. With the ECI modem,you are out of luck, it's a shot in the dark. Unless you really have other factors that strongly suggest you'll gain some speed, I wouldn't bother. Has G.INP been enabled on your Cab yet, don't know if that will help. But IIRC you started with higher speeds, my guess is increased take up on your Cab has increased cross-talk and your SNRM is dropping a bit and there would either be an automatic resync eventually and your speed would drop, or it'll do so when you resync. Sorry can't give you better news.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Anotherone, thanks for the reply figured it would be a shot in the dark, sadly i'm on a ECI cab also so no G.INP as the rollout for that hasn't begun yet, and yeah i started with 65Mb down 10Mb up now at 55Mb down 5Mb up with cross talk given as the reason by plusnet / BTW but the openreach engineer who came for my last fault didn't seem to think so when i asked about that,  although he couldn't give me a valid reason for the loss either just said this was the best i can get now and that was that. 
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Bear in mind that if you get the best sync speed you may well lose your connection later in the day. The reason for this is down to noise. When your modem tries to sync it and the DSLAM choose a speed that allows a certain 'noise margin'. The idea is that it gives the modem and DLSAM tolerance for spikes in noise. What complicates things is that overall noise increases and decreases throughout the day. If you resync during the quietest time of the day you will initially be running with a good margin and will be immune to most noise events. However later on in the day when noise is at its peak you could have very little margin left. That makes you more vulnerable to noise spikes and thus disconnections.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

My understanding is that the best time to do a resync is when your SNRM is at its highest (if you have access to it).
Whilst doing a PPP disconnect is always a good idea, I don't believe the cabinet equipment knows or cares whether a PPP session was established or not when the sync was lost.
PN systems may care in that you don't want a stuck session etc. So it's a good idea to drop the PPP session, but I don't think it makes any difference from a DLM perspective.
Anotherone
Champion

For the PPP, the primary reason is to ensure you don't get stuck with stale session issues. The method is common across all xDSL products - it's precautionary. Stick to the same method whatever you are on, no-one gets confused. Andrue's point is correct, but it's generally less of an issue on Fibre, can be much more of an issue on long poor quality ADSL lines where it can depend on the Target SNRM.