cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best VDSL Modem on the market?

technominds
Hooked

Best VDSL Modem on the market?

Hi guys, I'm completely fed up with the 2mb/s network transfer speeds I'm getting with my bundled router and want to spend some money on getting the best available modem that will work with plusnet.

Can anyone offer advise on which to get?

Thank you,

TM

27 REPLIES 27
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Best VDSL Modem on the market?

Before looking at that option it would be very useful to identify where the problem occurs

Does your present router give the connection stats

Can you run the BT Speedtest - Further diagnostics http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Are the results you are complaining about wired or wireless

What are the estimated speeds given here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

technominds
Hooked

Hey Oldjim, thanks for the reply.

My connection to the outside world is fine, I'm getting about 32 down and 20 up, ping of around 20.

It's internal that is the issue, my wifi signal barely reaches 3ft behind a brick wall. The connection between any machines connected to the router will not exceed 2mb/s regardless of wired or wireless. Trying to watch movies from my NAS driver (connected via Ethernet) to my Mac Mini (running 500mb/s WiFi) is painful. Transferring 1GB from anywhere within my network to anywhere else can take up to 10 minutes.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

So the first thing you want is a Gbit LAN - but that will only help if the other machines have that capability which I assume that they have including the NAS

For wifi - you will need 802.11ac Wi‑Fi support assuming that your other machines support it

Now to go back to fundamentals - why is a wired connection only giving 2Mb/s (or do you mean 2MB/s - which is equivalent to 16Mb/s which is about half your connection speed)

Assuming you want an all in one box then a good start is here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Given your horrible wifi have you thought of trying HomePlugs

technominds
Hooked

All my machines are newest model Mac. Macbook Pro Retina & Mac Mini (latest).

A transfer of 1GB shouldn't take 10 minutes, right?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

So which router have you got

technominds
Hooked

The Plusnet One Hub

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Which is supposed to have Gbit WAN ports so you should be seeing a lot better speeds

technominds
Hooked

Agreed, and in my other house I have the old hub + modem and transfers are much faster.

Any recommendations on a new VDSL router? Or do you think I should be digging deeper into what is causing this?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The Hub One does do gigabit speeds.

From the routers home page go to Advanced Settings > Home Network and you can see the connection speeds of attached devices.

technominds
Hooked

All devices in home network are showing the correct speeds, as well as in OSX Network Utility. However when I try and ping from machine to machine it can take up to 200ms to respond. Regardless of wether i'm connected via WiFi or Ethernet its pretty slow and unreliable.

Ordered a TP-LINK Archer VR2600 - hopefully this will be a big step up.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Obviously a problem somewhere, fingers crossed the new router is the fix.

grayerbeard
Dabbler

You only need a Modem not a Modem Router if the aim is just to have control over the DNS. (with a cost saving of around £100)   For example I am going to try the NETGEAR DM200 ADSL2+/VDSL Modem @ £28.38 Plus VAT plus delivery.   Then I will  connect the Plusnet Hub One to the Netgear modem.   At the moment I keep getting intermittent connections where the fixed (cant change) plusnet DNS server is not responding. On my Laptop I can set the DNS to (say) Googles 8.8.8.8 and its fine. With other devices changing the DNS is either impossible or much too difficult.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Who mentioned DNS?
grayerbeard
Dabbler

Sorry that was posted in the wrong thread really. In a similar thread the thrust of conversation was to do with not being able to change DNS and it seems the Plusnet Hub One does not allow that (its primarily designed to simplify support)    Point is that if the aim is to improve the incoming connection, for whatever reason, you only need a new Modem not a modem router.