cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Router for a small business?

FIXED
DashDave

Best Router for a small business?

Hello.  I'm about to sign up with PlusNet Business, but see that there are three router options.   What router is currently being supplied and which is the best for business setup?

We will NOT be using the WiFi at all, but need to setup custom ports etc.

Any advise please?

Dave

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Best Router for a small business?

Hi Dave.

Firstly welcome to our community forums and thanks for choosing Plusnet as your service provider for your business.

We actually currently provide two types of routers; Hub One, or the Hub Zero(2704n). The Hub One we'd send out if you're ordering fibre, and the Hub Zero for standard broadband(ADSL).

More information regarding the setup of these routers can be found Here.

You should be able to port forward on both of the routers, and while this may not be something our support teams can assist with, the guides Here should be able to help out as well as the good people on this fantastic community.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DashDave

Hi Gandalf.

Thanks for the reply.  I should have said that we are currently using 2 x BT Business Hub 5 on Fibre, which looks very similar to your Hub One.  We have setup a number of special ports for our business and will need to replicate them on the new services.

So if the Hub One and our current BT Business Hub5 are built on the same platform, I suspect we will be OK.

We are fairly IT literate, but we were concerned that there might not be as many Business controls on the PlusNet routers.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Fix

@DashDave

The Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 Type A.

You can carry on using your BT Hubs, you just need to change the username/password for the PPPoE coonection.

There is a mega thread in the "My Router" about using BT Hubs on Plusnet if you want more information.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes as @SpendLessTime said you should be able to use your existing hardware on PlusNet by just making a small config change.

Then you don't have to mess around configuring the ports on a new device, and keep the PlusNet hardware as a backup in case your existing equipment fails and you at least have something else to swap it to just in case.

Should be pretty painless.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

So if the Hub One and our current BT Business Hub5 are built on the same platform, I suspect we will be OK.

@DashDave They might be the same hardware platform but they have significantly different firmware.

One thing you definitely need to be aware on the Hub One is that it's not possible to change the DNS servers from the automatically allocated ones. Also, if you have multiple public IP's (probably not) the Business Hub supports 'public routed subnet'  to allow the use these whereas the Hub One does not.

I'd echo what's been said previously by @Alex & @SpendLessTime , you're best to continue using the Business Hub and keep the Hub one for emergency backup or in case PN need it connecting to assist fault diagnosis. All that needs changing on the Business Hub config is the PPPoE username & password.

Although from your comment

we are currently using 2 x BT Business Hub 5 on Fibre

it sounds like you already have some level of backupSmiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.