cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of Fibre

juneplusrose

Benefits of Fibre

Can anyone tell me if Fibre is any good if I only do internet surfing, and emails.  I rarely upload much or download much.  Is it worth my while.
I have a Fibre box right at my gateway, but don't want to bother with it, if it is only for music downloads and films and the like.  I don't do any of that
16 REPLIES 16
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Benefits of Fibre

if all you do is surf and email then Fibre is not something you would see any benefit from.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

unless your adsl speeds are really horrible then you would notice the diference
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: Oldjim
unless your adsl speeds are really horrible then you would NOT notice the difference

corrected that for you
Oldjim
Resting Legend

and you got it wrong  Shocked
I remember the change when I went from 512kb fixed to ADSLMax as surfing was much snappier due to the amount of rubbish websites included and it has got worse since
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

It'll be a noticeable improvement over a poor ADSL connection (at a guess anything below 5Mb/s and if the ADSL connection is a bit unstable). But if you already get double digit or better ADSL it's unlikely you'll notice much of an improvement by moving to FTTC unless your habits change.
chenks76
All Star

and you got it wrong  Shocked
I remember the change when I went from 512kb fixed to ADSLMax as surfing was much snappier due to the amount of rubbish websites included and it has got worse since

if their ADSL is not poor (which is what you said), how would changing to fibre be noticeable for surfing and email?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

How is this taken as meaning "not poor"
chenks76
All Star

you said "unless".
as i said, and Andrue also said... if the ADSL is NOT poor then noticing a difference when just surfing or email is unlikely.
you said if it's not poor then you would notice a difference.
maybe it's time for your post-dinner nap.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

perhaps it is time for you to go away and stop trying to be argumentative for the sake of it
I will give here the sequence
You said
if all you do is surf and email then Fibre is not something you would see any benefit from.

To which I replied

juneplusrose

Thanks for all your help
Just checked my speeds, 2.65 download and 0.63 upload, checked 2 sites, and it was near enough on both
I know that speed seems dismal, but on normal surfing it's not too bad
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

In that case unless money is a major sticking point for you I'd recommend that you upgrade. 2.65Mb/s is frankly pitiful in this day and age and you owe it to yourself to get faster if you can. I'm pretty sure you'd notice the difference. I also suspect that having experienced the difference you would be motivated to try other services. There's a lot you can't reasonably do (and certainly not enjoy) with your existing connection. For the sake of an additional tenner a month it'd be a shame not to experience it.
mav:quote
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It may seem dismal, but is that testing from a wired or wireless connection?
Let us know some more details on how you connect, what with and what to, there may be simple and cheap ways to improve your speeds.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The other point worth mentioning is that if you go to Plusnet with a competitor's offer (e.g. BT), they will usually match it. I actually ended up with fibre for exactly the same price I had for ADSL. It just happened that BT were running a sale at a good price at the time, and Plusnet matched it.
juneplusrose

I tried a test both wired, and wifi, and the results were more or less the same