cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being greedy; anything I can do to eek out a bit more speed?

timmys
Hooked

Being greedy; anything I can do to eek out a bit more speed?

I've had Plusnet Fibre for around 7 years now and generally very happy with it. Had an incredibly consistent 55 Mpbs connection all that time (speed at router with ethernet connection). I did notice a few weeks ago that I had around a week where I suddenly got 62 Mbps so it seems a bit more is possible, but it's now gone back to 55-56 Mpbs. This promoted me to check the BT wholesale thing, which I hadn't done for years, and I see it predicts 80-60.5 (clean) or 79.8-55.4 (impacted) (see below) - so I am am right at the bottom end.

I wondered if there was anything that I might be able to change or tinker with to eek out a bit more speed? I am currently using the setup that was installed 7 years ago - so the white BT fibre modem which is connected to my own router. Do the more modern combined fibre modem/routers give any speed advantage. I'm talking here purely of the speed it is able to connect/sync with the fibre, not the capabilities of the router (eg. wifi).

Second question; on my Plusnet account it says "Current Line Speed (Download) : 80Mbps" - what does that actually mean? Is that just the max speed possible on my package?

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 7.50.09 pm.png

From plusnet account page;

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 7.57.42 pm.png

4 REPLIES 4
timmys
Hooked

Re: Being greedy; anything I can do to eek out a bit more speed?

Anyone?

Tempted to try a BT Home Hub to replace the old Openreach modem seeing how cheap they are on eBay. Anyone want to chime in with whether I will be wasting my money?

Realise I chopped the bottom of my stats off previous which shows no Bridge Tap;

Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 1.43.07 pm.png

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Did BT install a dual socket to replace your old master socket? - that dedicted VDSL socket connects direct to the white BT modem? - or are you using a master socket with filters?

I have tried 3 different modems on my plusnet fibre, the BT white modem, a TP Link modem router and currenty a Draytek 2762n modem router.... they all connect and give pretty much identical results... I think the BT and Draytek might be 1 or 2 mbps better than the TP Link, but it's very close between them all. I am doubtful a newer modem would make much difference but I have heard that matching your modem's chipset to the green BT cabinet in use can sometimes improve things, but again I don't expect much. 

timmys
Hooked

Yes, I have the dual master socket.

Might give the BT HH a punt, if nothing else it will remove one box from the clutter at the master socket. Looks as though the Business Smart Hub 6 is the one to go for as it offers moire control over DNS settings etc.?

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

OK there's not much to be tweaked with the connections as you have the dedicated vdsl socket in use.... the BT HH6 business does seemt to allow DNS changes unlike the regular HH6

There's some info about it here if you haven't seen it

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/td-p/1504366