Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banding

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Banding

I think with a sync speed of 35mbps you’d realistically see around max 32mbps or so on a speed test as there are overheads of the connection to take into account. 

When you completed the test, was there anything running in the background or on any other devices?

It may also be worth cross checking the result on a different speedtester like at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Junkman
Grafter

Good morning.  Router still synced at 34.7 this morning.  Several cabled BTW tests and Thinkbroadband tests run.  Best BTW was 30.08 and best Thinkbroadband at 31.2. BTW sometimes below 29 though.  Definitely nothing else running when any of these speed tests were carried out.  I read that overheads should take about 5% which would suggest download speeds of c. 33, so even the best result  falls a little short?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Junkman Unfortunately it'd be difficult to investigate further because there isn't anything restricting your speeds now, so any further fault we report to our suppliers will go to an engineer who may not be able to find a fault unless there are other issues showing such as connection drops. As it stands your speeds seem stable and both your sync and throughput well within our suppliers expectations of your line between 25mbps and 41mbps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Junkman
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf .  That's what I thought you might say 😊.  As I said earlier, a stable 28 or so is absolutely fine for me.  So I'm happy to leave it that I won't contact you again unless my download speed falls below 25mbps (the minimum supplier's expectation).  Does that sound reasonable?

Thank you very much for all your help in resolving this.  Very much appreciated.

Stuart 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Stuart. Sounds good, let us know if you notice any other issues with your connection too though or if there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Junkman
Grafter

@Gandalf I am afraid it looks like we have a second no-show from Openreach this afternoon.  Once again no phone call to advise.  Pretty diabolical customer service in anyone's book. 

Stuart

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Stuart, I'm sorry to see the engineer hasn't arrived yet. We've received no updates yet and as we're still in the timeslot we can't really chase this up with our suppliers as they'd likely just turn us back due to that.

I'm going to check back after 6pm tonight and I'll post back when I know more. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Junkman
Grafter

@Gandalf the Openreach engineer turned up this morning and we may have made some progress.  Have left you an update on the fault ticket.

Stuart

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Stuart, that's good to see! I'm taking a look at your comments on the ticket now.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Junkman
Grafter

@Gandalf before the OR engineer visit this afternoon, just to let you know that my sync speed fell to 20 on Sunday night and a cabled BTW test this morning gave a download speed of 16.8.  Unable to get through to further diagnostics despite 2 attempts.

You may recall that the parting shot from the last engineer was that it was synced at 34.5 and he wouldn't expect it to fall far from that.  Also remember that he found 'multiple corroded connections' when the previous guy had said that there was nothing wrong with the line. 

I hope this afternoon is productive.

Thanks,

Stuart

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Stuart. Fingers crossed the engineer visit goes well this afternoon. If the engineer needs any assistance, they'll have the phone number for my department and you should do too. I'll be here all day until 9pm.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet