Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banding stuck after upgrading to Fibre Extra

FIXED
booji
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Banding stuck after upgrading to Fibre Extra

I have always been on the top level fibre program but last May I was needlessly misled and "upgraded" to the fibre extra, Paying 3 quid more a month for the same service I had anyway To make insult to injury at about the same time my sync DL speed is now stuck at 39999 kbps and has been like that for the last 6 months. Can you please give me a DLM reset. I have asked before but this has not been done yet.

10 REPLIES 10
booji
Grafter

Re: Banding stuck after upgrading to Fibre Extra

I believe you might want this info from the Broadband checker. I have an NTE faceplate (BT ADSL fit then BT VDSL fit). Dialled 170170 Opt 2 and all good.

Screenshot 2020-12-29 185811.jpg

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @booji 

A connection speed of 39999 kbps could possibly indicate that the circuit is incorrectly provisioned at 40/10.

What  are the routers Modem statistics?

Line rate, noise margin, etc

If you are using a Plusnet Hub one router, I believe the stats can be found at: http://192.168.1.254, then click troubleshooting and then help desk.

Please post the results back minus any login details or WiFi names etc and it may provide the first clue as why the speeds are below what you expect.

Regards

Richard

booji
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. I don't think its incorrectly provisioned since I didn't actually go from a product with a different max sync speed. It was a name change only but £3 more! The rate dropped a few weeks after I went the the "new" product.  When I first notified PN about the sync drop they confirmed I was stuck on this profile but there was a line fault on the line (which seemed to rectify itself a month later). I think that may be the temporary fault is the reason for the stuck profile.

The main reason for a DLM reset request is that I had higher speeds before. May not seem a lot but 10-15 Mbits can be quite a bit. 

I had the BT modem with router combo I ditched ages ago but line stats are as follows. 

Screenshot 2020-12-29 225748.jpg

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hmm,
The download noise margin is approx 6dB and yet within the predicted speeds, so the speeds are not limited by Banding. Banding would result in a slower speed with a higher noise margin.
As the line attenuation is low, this is either a very poor Openreach line or there is a high FTTC take up and speeds are signifcantly impacted by crosstalk.
The upstream has "spare" noise margin and should be synching faster.
Whilst it could be coincidental the synch speed of 9997 kbps is suspiciously close to 10000 kbps.
I suspect your line has been provisoned on 40/10.
To be honest unless you need the faster upload speed, I suggest you save the money and downgrade to 40/10.
Regards
Richard
booji
Grafter

Thanks for your help Richard and do not take this the wrong way but I'll wait to see what PN has to say about this.

I would still like a DLM reset before I decide my options. FWIW I asked to go on to the lower rate and PN said they would do this back in June but nothing happened. It seems since the pandemic we just get ignored. As you say either DLM or get downgraded. Since I had previously had higher speeds I would like DLM first and if it stays at 40 then save the money and get downgraded.

Perhaps PN ops could advise?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@booji I'm with @RichardB here, I'd be pretty sure, from those line stats, that you're provisioned on a 40/10 connection. However, with only a 6.3db downstream noise margin, I suspect your line isnt going to achieve much more anyway.

My guess what's happened here is confusion between legacy and current products on your product change.

Originally there were two legacy fibre products:

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - an 80/20 product

Plusnet Fibre - a 40/10 product.

These changed to the current products:

Unlimited Fibre Extra - an 80/20 product

Unlimited Fibre - a 40/10 product.

NB there was also a legacy product ( the name eludes me) which was provisioned on 80/20 but limited to 40/20 by profile. This was later changed to be provisioned on 55/10.

If you've changed from the legacy PlusNet Unlimited Fibre to the current Unlimited Fibre , that would explain the provisioning change to 40/10.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

booji
Grafter

Fix

Yes 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @ booji,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate your query and apologise for any inconvenience due to the situation.

I've taken ownership of this for you and will monitor the update from our suppliers and let you know once the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to contact me via the ticket if you have any queries.

Thanks - LF

booji
Grafter

It looks like the banding is removed and I'm happy with the increase in speed.

Capture.JPG

Hopefully that should be all good now.