Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banding stuck after upgrading to Fibre Extra

FIXED
booji
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Banding stuck after upgrading to Fibre Extra

I've been on Fibre with PN since 2013 when I originally got the higher speed Fibre package (I think the sync speed have changed since then). 18 months ago I took another fixed term out and stayed on the higher band. It's always been a marginal whether or not I should go on the higher speed but it was worth it for the upload speed. I have recently taken another 24 month period out and notice that my that I was now on the standard fibre package as opposed to fibre extra. I don't quite know how this has happened since I never downgraded but when I renewed on 8th May I asked to be put on Fibre Extra again. I was told it would switch over on 11th May and should see a speed increase I was getting before ie about 55/11. I didn't see any increase in sync so I rang on 17th. They told me I was on Profile Name 0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-8.5M Upstream and they would remove the banding on the line. 4 Days later I was still syncing at 47/7.2 so rang again. I found out I was still stuck on the same profile but they wanted to send an engineer out. I was reluctant to have this since I didn't think there was anything wrong this end and I would be charged if there was no fault found.

Why upgrade to fibre plus if they refuse to reset the banding  without sending out and engineer?

Surely just reset the band first then if that doesn't sort it out then I can look at options. My 14 days cooling off period runs out tomorrow and  I'm seriously thinking of cancelling and moving on since I don't want to be tied to a service for 24 months if they cant even remove the throttling. The irony is if I moved i would get it the banding reset without having to go though this.

Line SpeedsLine SpeedsGood old trusty EchoLife HG612Good old trusty EchoLife HG612

11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Banding stuck after upgrading to Fibre Extra

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the spam filter.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @booji I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems. I'm afraid that we can only submit a DLM reset if your speed is banded and line tests pass. I've tested your line today and the tests are showing your sync speed 46.9mbps while the banding at 49mbps so your line still has 2.1mbps to sync higher before it's restricted.

In addition the tests are showing a fault we'd need to arrange an engineer to investigate further. I've attached a copy of our testing below if you're interested in taking a look. Smiley

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 46.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.5 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 663.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-8.5M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-05-09T12:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 47.1 Mbps 48.9 Mbps 48.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 7.2 Mbps 8.4 Mbps 7.9 Mbps
Up Time 398.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2020-05-22T10:33:41Z 2020-05-22T10:48:41Z
Ingress Code Violation 11 3
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
booji
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Since you mentioned their was a possible line fault and the ticket raised also contained a line test indicating a fault I replied to the ticket and asked the to arrange an engineer call out on. It looks like PN did another test and this time found no fault on the line. Unfortunately I had no idea they did this as I didn't receive an email so they closed the ticket a few weeks later.

I phoned this afternoon and during my conversation they told me  I was ALWAYS on the higher speed fibre all along. PN changed the naming of their products a few years ago so I wrongly assumed I was downgraded to the lower speed. The upgrade to Fibre Extra completely unnecessary.

In the past my sync rates have been 55/12 but now it seems that as long as my connection meets the 19mb dl speed then PN wont do anything.

I am now stuck on this for 24 months. I wish I was told this info before the bogus upgrade otherwise I would have never of done this. I wish I had just renewed my old product as normal in the first place!

Since I could not go back to my old product and only have the options of the new products I have been able to downgrade to the standard fibre package since PN have no interest in getting my sync speed up to previous levels.

I the mean time I am still stuck on the 0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-8.5M profile.

My Upload speed is still pegged back to 8.5M even though my upsteam SNR is 18.9dB so I'm sure it should get higher upload speed if a DLM reset was done. Now that my line seems to have no faults can this be done?

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @booji

Thanks for getting back in touch. Based on this ticket on your account you've managed to change your contract yesterday to normal Fibre.

Once that change will be completed order placed will change your DLM profile to match contracted one (up to 40Mbps).

If there anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

booji
Grafter

Thanks for your help.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but I would have liked PN to get the speeds I had a year ago. DL sync speed is getting worse each week. I think I will leave PN as soon as I'm able to. It isn't the same service when I joined in Feb 2013. Had similar issues then but they were more than happy to look into it.

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Thanks for answer @booji

I have checked average sync speeds to router in last 14 days (47Mbps), last 28 days (48Mbps) and history from DLM reports dating back 2019 which shows speeds between ~33-49Mbps. Based on this I am unable to find any difference in sync speed between now and last year.

There is no fault on line when tested and speeds are within estimates for your line. Once change to Unlimited Fibre will be completed, maximum sync speed will be 40Mbps which is below current average speeds on your line. Estimated speeds for your new package are on this service notice.

booji
Grafter

Sync speed are as you said but I had router issues last year when my router packed up hence some dropping and gradual increase after swapping out with the old trusty HG612. I certainly cant remember them being as low as 33M but I haven't got the data you have. All I can say is it has been mostly at the 50M end so that;s why I was happy to stay on the Fibre extra equivalent. I was more interested in getting upload speeds higher since I have been using plex and wanted an upload increase yet this has been low for quite some time. I have been rearranging my router today and after swapping over some network cables and re-connecting I cab only get 39999Kkps.

Am I already on the new standard fibre profile yet or has the sync rate  dropped again? 

xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 8832 Kbps, Downstream rate = 48124 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 8495 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39999 Kbps

booji
Grafter

So to summarise:-

(i) Plusnet had renamed their packages but my package was still the same and had not been renamed. I was on the higher product ie up tp 80M doenload (I know this was never attainable). PN now advertise them at Average speed so now there is no maximum mentioned for each product (until you go though the checker when you decide to buy a package which I found out today)

(ii) My My Upload speed was 49M DL 8.5M UL When I renewed my contract in may I asked to be upgraded to fibre extra as upload speed was low in compassion to upload speed. I thought that my upload speed being low was due to being in the lower package. I didn't realise I was already on the higher rate and PN should have know this since the DN speed was above 40M.I was told that I should see some increase in upload speed after the renewall.

(ii) After the contract renew a rang PN to find out why there was no increase U/L speed and asked for a DLM reset. They said they would have to get an engineer but I was reluctant since I might be charged if there was no fault found.

(iii) PN then did some tests which showed there was something wrong with the line so I asked them to progress with an engineer after all. They left all the data on an open ticket.

(iv) PN then do another test later and find no fault then and post the result on the open ticket. To the best of my knowledge I did not receive an email and didn't check the progress of the ticker as PN said there might be delays in an engineer.

(v) I received an email last week saying the ticket is closed.

(vi) I ring PN a few days ago where they then inform me that the ticket was closed since there was no fault found and I didn't reply. They then say there was no real need for me to be on the higher rate. Since there was no advantage in speed increase.

(vii) I then get passed on to another team member who says I was always on the higher rate package from the start since I joined in 2007.

(viii) They agree to put me on the lower banding.

(viiii) PN (via the forum) tell me that the maximum rate of the lower banding is 40M so there IS actually some advantage to be on the higher band  if the sync rates were as I had before.

Meanwhile my rates have dropped to under 40M anyway or is this because the downgrade has gone though?

What a total shambles. I was always happy with the 49M download speed as it was at the top end of the estimate. All I ever wanted was a few more Meg on the upload speed as it seemed pegged down by the UL banding.

FWIW the forum info has been good but PN phone-reporting ticket etc is not ideal. If I had enquired via the forum in the beginning then all this confusion would't have happened.

booji
Grafter

I would just like to give you and update. Plusnet agreed to  downgrade my service down to an 18 month contract and supply the normal fibre. They said it would take about a month to sort out. It never happened, I wasn't downgraded and my contact is still 24 month with Fibre Extra.

Question #2029415400

Question #202939879

It was supposed to change on 3 Jul.

I the light of this, and with the knowledge I have been told there is not a fault with my line, can I at least ask for a DLM reset again? At least it might be worth it for paying the extra money. If the DLM reset frees me from the stuck profile I'm happy to keep the contract as it is.

I'm still stuck on the 40/10,

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You say in your first sentance PN agreed to put you on normal fibre.So why are you asking for a DLM reset when your modem stats show you are on normal fibre - 40/10 ?

booji
Grafter

My OP was for a DLM reset, since then I have danced a merry tune which is far too long to explain but here's a summary.

1/ Been on PN for years - They ring asking for a renewal - I said i think UL is low i.e. 7.5Mbit and ask to be put on Fribre Extra. I am getting about 46/7.5

2/ It goes ahead but no increase in upload speed DL remain at 46/7.5  - I ask for a DLM reset. to see I it will increase to upload speed.

3/ PN says they cant DLM unless a engineer come around - I'm reluctant to do this as I will be charged if no fault found.

4/ PN then says there is a fault on the line - so I agree for an engineer call out after all.

5/ PN says there no fault on the line after all. They say the at 46/7.5  to I was already 2mb DL  below my current profile so a DLM reset wouldn't really make a difference. In the mean time my Dl since rate drops even more to 40/10.

6/ Ring PN they explain I was always on the Higher broadband package they just renamed to Fibre Extra. They could not take me back to the original package as its a one way journey. I'm not too happy since before all this started I was on 46/7.5 and all I wanted was a few extra upload, not stuck on 40/10 yet paying more money then I was before for the full package. PN says they can only grantee a DL of 29 displite me having a DL of mid 40's in the past.

7/ They offer to set my package to 18 months and basic fibre since I'm stuck on a 40/10 profile. 

8/ Should have been done by 03/07/20 still isn't done. I'm still on Fibre Extra but now stuck on a 40/10 profile (which I suspect is the maximum profile for the basic package but please correct me if this is not the case)

9/ Send request today. Since If I'm still paying for fibre extra and my line has not fault then why can't I get a DLM as originally requested, that way I might as well get what I had 6 month ago before all this started. Really regretting now renewing in the first place.

ad infinitum.