Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banded Line

FIXED
RWW
Dabbler

Banded Line

Hi 

Don't want to seem picky but my FTTC line which should be 76Mb runs at 68 max, It appears from all stats to be banded at the next to top band by DLM.

Could someone check this please.

BT Wholesale test shows download speed 68.4, acceptable range 40-71.5 IP Profile 71.55 (download)

My modem/router shows sync speed 74000 down max attainable 91361 - Upstream  20000 max attainable 29776

SNRM Up 12.2, down 10.6

3 error secs down in 23 days uptime. NO line drops (other than power outage twice in 3 months)

The sync rate at exactly 74000 is the give away.

Your site figure shows attainable rate of 76Mb I would very much like to achieve this.

It has been like this for nearly 3 months after a noise issue at home that I sorted.

many thanks

RWW

21 REPLIES 21
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Banded Line

I've tested your line and your profile is "0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" so it has increased slightly

Unfortunately we have no control over fibre DLM so we can't reset the line I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RWW
Dabbler

I am sorry to hear that you are not able to maintain the system you provide Mathew.

I am now out of contract with Plusnet so if you can't help I will switch ISP which will get me a DLM reset.

Thanks

RWW

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The DLM is Openreach's domain rather then ourselves I'm afraid.

As far as I'm aware no provider can reset DLM.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MatthewWheeler I think you didn't quite understand what RWW is getting at. You have confirmed the line is on a banded profile but say you have no way of removing the banding because of Openreach totally controlling DLM which I consider to be a far from satisfactory situation, however RWW rightly states that changing to a different ISP will cause a DLM reset purely because the line is effectively reset when a migration happens, not through any action by the gaining ISP. So you are happy to lose a customer just because of openreach being so inflexible. I thought that recently there was a trial to allow ISPs to have some ability to request DLM resets or adjust other DLM parameters but it all seems to have gone very quiet. @RWW I understand BT are offering speed  upgrades on Infinity 1 to 80/20 if your line can achieve it for no extra cost, might be worth looking at.Smiley

RWW
Dabbler

Many thanks RealAleMadrid for expressing the situation so eloquently, unfortunately Plusnet don't seem to grasp it.

I wish to to stress my line to maximum sync for another reason also.

I am in a trial area for G.Fast and I want to move onto it, when its available, if there is likely to be sufficient benefit.

From analysing my stats for some weeks, although I am 310Metres from the street cab I think I could achieve at least 300Mb of the 330Mb band as I have done a lot of work at home to stabilise my line.

As you rightly point out its time 3rd party ISPs had more technical access, or at least be able to put in a reset request to Openreach.

A country of this size with its scientific history and engineering skills should be leading the world for Broadband provision.

B.T. has held us back trying to sweat old copper infrastructure for profit.

Many thanks for your support.

RWW

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

We could arrange an engineer to visit to reset the line.

They'd need to call Openreach's Diagnostics Centre of Excellence [DCoE] however there's a possibility the engineer would refuse to do so and there'd likely be a no fault found callout charge applicable.

I thought that recently there was a trial to allow ISPs to have some ability to request DLM resets or adjust other DLM parameters but it all seems to have gone very quiet. 

I believe that trial has since ended. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RWW
Dabbler

Hi Plusnet team,

I see from ISPreview uk that you now have the ability to request full DLM reset.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar...

I have been banded for months (see this post) I am officially requesting a reset please.

Many thanks

RWW

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've requested that for you but it may take up to 48 hours.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RWW
Dabbler

Many thanks Matthew

RWW
Dabbler

Hi Plusnet team,

Still no DLM reset, can you please check that the request to reset has gone through.

Many thanks

RWW

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've been advised the request wasn't sent through but it is being done tonight.

Let us know if you see a improvement tomorrow.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RWW
Dabbler

Matthew,

Still no reset been performed,

Can you escalate this request to a supervisor please.

Thanks

RWW

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm afraid as this is still a trial escalating it to my manager wouldn't make any difference to what's been done already.

After speaking with my colleague who sends the resets off it appears the resets weren't submitted until after the cutoff point for yesterday.

It should go through tonight but I must stress as it's still a trial I can't make any guarantees.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RWW
Dabbler

Still No DLM reset

I want this escalated please

RWW