Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad packet loss and jitter

porkchop1

Bad packet loss and jitter

Hello

This is a question for PlusNet support.

I've been with PlusNet for a couple of months. My line is FTTC/VDSL. Recently (i.e. the past week or two) I've started noticing bad packet loss and ping jitter at all times of the day and night. This affects streaming video and online games. This affects multiple services, not just one type (like games).

I've submitted a fault ticket but there was no option for packet loss so I'm posting here. I'll attach a couple of logs from PingPlotter.

Please let me know how to proceed.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

5 REPLIES 5
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Bad packet loss and jitter

Morning @porkchop1

Thanks for getting in touch - I've picked up your fault and will have a look at it for you now.

Kind Regards,

Dave

sebjo
Grafter

i got same issue packet loss and lag spike

for almost 2 weeks now , and no one really looking in it ,it is getting annoying

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @porkchop1

I've raised an update to your fault ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=170212010

Thanks,

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@sebjo - I can see that my colleague Anoush has been corresponding with you on the thread you've linked - could you continue to use that thread as your primary point of contact?

Thanks,

Dave

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@sebjo & @porkchop1, what routers are you both using? Are you able to set up a what router do you have? Are you able to set up a Think Broadband quality monitor?

@porkchop1, your ping plotter screencaps (certainly the second one) don't show any unexpected packet loss. The hops where you're seeing 75-100% loss are expected due to those devices not responding to/prioritising ICMP probes. The first screenshot shows increased latency across all hops, but this could easily be the result of something other than packet loss e.g. heavy downloading/uploading.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵