Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Gaming Lantancy

daveblaz
Dabbler

Bad Gaming Lantancy

Hi

I am finding online games are unplayable due to high Lantancy spikes, it constantly jumps from 17ms to 600ms causing the games to freeze,

I have spoken to a technician on the phone and turned the router off over night but the problem still persists, it seams to get worse during peek time ie 1630 + 

also this is on a wired connection with no other devices using the internet.

26 REPLIES 26
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Bad Gaming Lantancy

Hi there,

Have you tried to run some latency tests on an alternate device just to rule out any settings on your gaming device. Is this an issue with PC gaming or is it a console which is having the issues? If it is a PC game, please can you make sure that things such as Steam or Battle.net downloads aren't running in the background as these can cause bandwidth issues.

Let me know how these tests go.

daveblaz
Dabbler

Its on a high gaming pc and nothing else is running in the background

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Thanks for getting back to us @daveblaz,  

We have checked your connection from our side and everything looks spot on. This doesn't mean there isn't an issue, however we will need more information to look at how best to assist you.

Please can you run some latency tests on your gaming device while your equipment is set up in your test socket. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242.

Once completed we would need you to run some latency tests on alternative devices on your connection, and let us know the results.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
daveblaz
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back ,

my master socket is the duel type with data and voice split so I don't know how I would plug in the back plate as its different.
I don't have speed issues as my connection says 80mb on tests, but I do have a problem with latancy and don't know how I can't test this on other devices, I have 2 PCs, iMac, iPad, iPhone and tvs connected.
Please advise as the standard testers won't pick anything up I.E speedtest.net as its not constant but enough to halt games and streaming content.

Thanks Dave
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @daveblaz

With those types of sockets (SSFP's) you would remove the faceplates and then plug into the test socket which you expose via a Microfilter (we sent out one of these in your router box). 

Can I ask - is this machine connected via a physical LAN cable or are you running it on your WiFi Network? 

Thanks 

daveblaz
Dabbler

Hi hardwired via a lan cable straight into the plus net hub.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Can you run a traceroute for us to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com?

To do this you'll need to open the Command Prompt and type tracert in front of the above address.

Cheers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daveblaz
Dabbler

Hi ive removed the plate and plugged in the microfilter 

here are the 3 test run at different times of the day

t1.JPGt2.JPGt3.JPG

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @daveblaz,

Thanks for getting back to us with these results. Looking at the results that you've posted here and reading through the thread, I'm afraid there's not much more that we can realistically do from our side to help with this issue due to the problem being with latency.

Whilst we can guarantee and support a minimum guaranteed access line speed, we can't guarantee anything similar for latency as the vast majority of these issues exist between your devices and the server that they're connecting to.

It may be worth trying to narrow down where the issue could lie as much as possible at this stage and as I can't see it's come up so far in this thread, I'd ask if this only happens when connecting to online gaming servers and if so, does it only occur on certain servers for certain games.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@daveblaz

Please could you run a ThinkBroadBand Quality Monitor test here and post up the graph when the issue next occurs?

Make sure you're doing this over a wired connection.

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Gandalf you know the Hub 1 won't respond to a TBB Quality Monitor without further intructions - and do PN recommend opening up customers networks by putting something in the DMZ?

Where has this new method of testing come from?

I believe it will only add to confusion customers face.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Mustrum if people feel competent to use the DMZ that's perfectly OK. The DMZ is a standard function for exposing things to the internet. We expect people to understand and manage their own risks if they want to do that. I'd however recommend against putting a computer in there for example.

A TBB Quality Monitor is a useful tool for showing packet loss.

@daveblaz in addition do you experience the same problems using a different device/computer?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daveblaz
Dabbler

Here are the Live results @Gandalf

Was showing packet loss but just opened DMZ on hub 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a9d6204a831a7b16c512d14ab816cfc739...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @daveblaz though a full red graph indicates that your router isn't responding to IMCP/pings (as designed).

Would you be able to put a really basic device in the DMZ for it to ping?

Alternatively, running WinMTR should be able to show any packet loss on your connection.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet