Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTW Performance Test Unreliable?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

BTW Performance Test Unreliable?

Is it just me, or is BTW Performance Test broken in some way?
For at least a week BTW Performance Test has invariable delivered a very poor result compared to other speed testers which immediately improves if the test is repeated. Following this, on about half the occasions a further test goes wrong, times out, or can't be delivered for some reason.
Has the BTW Performance Test got the Flu?
9 REPLIES 9
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Re: BTW Performance Test Unreliable?

Thinking on this further, if Openreach is eventually hived off from BT, who get the BTW Performance Tester? are both steering clear of it, hoping the other gets lumbered?!!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it is just you as it works fine for me
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Not just you, I have had some variable results recently as well.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I must say the BT speed test is somewhat inconsistant  Roll_eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for replies. I've had a better result just now but still below other testers. rongtw I note your inconsistency but what a speed profile. Most mine will manage is 47.4 but if you could see my cabinet from my gaff you'd need good binoculars or a telescope, so I shouldn't grumble (although I might still!).
Travelling round local towns my Mrs gets annoyed by my constant "there's one!" "there's another" as I spot Openreach Cabinets so close that seeing 3 from one position is commonplace. Our village is quite large but I think covered by 3 cabinets a fair walk between. Living in the sticks is not getting the same attention and not surprisingly there's no Virgin and no other competition out here.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

My Cabinet is across the road from my house  Cool  i see it every morning i open the curtains
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
davenos
Rising Star

I get very inconsistent results from it but then again the results on the ADSL checker for my line have dropped massively over the last week going from a high of 60mbps and a low of 28mbps to a high of 40mbps and a low of just 13.1mbps(which is only 1.1mbps faster than my old ADSL connection)which is worrying.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I'd love to have my cabinet close by rongtw. davenos I don't like the speed drop your experiencing. I get obsessive about speed in recent months its been largely consistent, but now and again it drops, which almost riles me. (alright, it does rile me!). Yesterday many will have seen BT's CEO being quizzed on the future of Broadband, and the threat that OpenReach could be split off. He stated that customers want fast reliable broadband and that they were increasing their investment in ultrafast.
Whilst this gives the BT network a leg up to keep pace with demand, I feel that pace is just too patchy and many would like their local connection to be at least half decent as regards speed and reliability. As ever, the effort will go where the payback is fastest. Broadband isn't a toy, and the faster it goes together with the further it goes is the only way to get the benefits to the nation as a whole. To my mind FTTC broadband is patchy, inconsistent, and not taken seriously enough. Perhaps it is too cheap, or maybe requires other ways to fund the infrastructure development?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Someone reported the BT speedtester was slower due to some combination of the latest Firefox (44.0.2) and latest Flash (20.0.0.306).
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148657.0.html