Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTO pulling extra Fibre to my Cabinet from Exchange

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

BTO pulling extra Fibre to my Cabinet from Exchange

Is it possible to see what engineering work BTO are doing? They have pulled a second Fibre cable seemingly to my Cabinet (no2) from my exchange (Lyminge). Speeds appear reasonable already, and I'm curious to find out what's going on. I should have asked but was running late when I spotted them and stopping would have been difficult. Kicking myself now, all bruised!
6 REPLIES 6
alegeek
Grafter

Re: BTO pulling extra Fibre to my Cabinet from Exchange

More than likely they are extending the fibre network in your area, check here http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks alegeek. I'm always hoping that they'll run a faster service or maybe even install cabinets closer. They are very sparse and distant in the sticks compared to in town. In town I can always see a cabinet nearby, sometimes more than one, in the sticks they are rarities you have to hunt for.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You can sometimes see details of what's going on on http://roadworks.org/
If you've already got FTTC, it's very unlikely that any work going on in the area will be to give you a faster speed. It'll be to get it to places that don't have it yet.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks ejs, That would have been my take too but for the fact that one end is the Exchange,  and the other is alongside my cabinet. It could well be that it will run on towards the next hamlet's exchange but I thought they were already connected to fibre. On a trip out yesterday saw two other BTO crews working feverishly with fibre, another below ground, and one seemingly above. Maybe its all hotting up, getting it out at a rate of knots?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

A similar thing happened to 1 of the cabs in my village last year where they had to blow an extra cabel to increase the capacity after a rapid 100% take up of the existing lines.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks tijara33, that seems logical, except that my understanding is that a lot of ports are still available and I haven't seen any general slowdowns recently, If anything speeds have increased. Hoping that it means faster but distance from the cabinet won't change and that's my limiting factor.