Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT new modem/router installation 2016 and compatibilty rules

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

BT new modem/router installation 2016 and compatibilty rules

This article was seen in another forum.The last part could be worrying, as BT are to permit approved modem/routers to be connected to the network.
I would assume that similar restrictions will apply to Plusnet supplied services. Concerns do not apply to myself, as I am not  in need of fibre. However, could there be reasons to use the new regulations to hobble information users will have avaible when problems arise?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: BT new modem/router installation 2016 and compatibilty rules

There is absolutely nothing in the rules about what user interface a device has, and what stats it may or may not provide to the end user.
I suppose the user interface shouldn't really allow the end user to re-configure the device to operate contrary to the requirements, e.g. upstream power back off, downstream G.INP and vectoring are all mandatory requirements, they must be enabled, so having a settings page where each of those could be switched off wouldn't be much use.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

When I last looked there were 29 devices on the BTW FTTC approved list.
I did wonder if this would be applied in a similar way to the old green stickered dial-up modems.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ejs
There is absolutely nothing in the rules about what user interface a device has, and what stats it may or may not provide to the end user.

It's the MCT bit that is significant
The router must support VDSL2 technology and have undergone and passed BT’s Modem Compatibility Test (MCT) to provide a supported configuration.

The crux of the matter being it must support OAM Loopback.