cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT modem

thomasjc1
Grafter

BT modem

I know this has probably been asked millions of times but do you have to use the Bt modem for fibre or are people getting rid and using a all in one router/modem
9 REPLIES 9
sjptd
Grafter

Re: BT modem

You can use an all in one, but you must buy it for yourself; PlusNet won't provide one.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

i must admit that I don't understand why peopie want to spend loads of extra money on a combined router/ modem. I agree that the PN router is fairly average but I use an Asus router with my BT modem & it produces great results.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

There's not many combined fibre modem routers about, if you're interested in one this is probably the most up to date list.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0
thomasjc1
Grafter

I was just interested, I use a asus rt-n66u and BT modem for the last 2 years I've had 73-75mb no probs just wondered if people had a combined router and if they were pleased with it
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I use a combined vdsl modem routers mainly to keep things tidy, only the one box and less clutter with wires.
I have two combined modem routers:
1) TG672, it a bit long in the tooth now but being a business router it has lots of bell and whistles but only wireless n and one gigabit and 3 fast ethernet ports.
2) Talk Talk super router (HG635), the firmware is a bit buggy but is has 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless ac and 4 Gigabit ethernet ports. More importantly  it gives me the best sync speed on my poor, mostly aluminium cables, line.
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
i must admit that I don't understand why peopie want to spend loads of extra money on a combined router/ modem. I agree that the PN router is fairly average but I use an Asus router with my BT modem & it produces great results.

In my experience reading posts, it's because people want access to their line statistics. It's easier to tell if there is a fault with your line if you know what you're looking at, before you ring PN. It also allows you to provide them with extra information.
Personally I have an unlocked HG612 BT modem which allows me to access statistics.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

it's because people want access to their line statistics.

Thanks for that although that sort of thing is way beyond my capabilities.  Embarrassed I guess that I'll have to trust the PN staff in the unlikely event that something goes wrong.
taras
Grafter

As long as you can cope with an extra box, keeping the modem separate is the best way to go. One great advantage is if your master socket is in a strange place but has a power socket near by then u can do
nte5 > modem > Cat5e cabling/powerline/ wireless router
Point is if you know what your doing the separate boxes gives u more flexibility. For the average person it can be an annoyance.
The other thing with all in ones, some haven't been tested by bt for uk vdsl 😐 Also some may skip on cpu power, and that can also cause problems
kelvin
Grafter

I have been using a (combined modem/router)  BT Home Hub 5 which  give much better wi fi than the plusnet supplied router. It was bought from ebay for around £40. As others have said the reduction in wires and power sockets is beneficial for an average user like me.