Did you mean: 

BT fault fixed + new router and still slow

FIXED
robbino
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

BT fault fixed + new router and still slow

Hi,

Had a problem with slow speeds and turns out I have a line fault which required a BT engineer visit, still had slow speed so Plusnet sent me a new hub one, which I have installed today, but I am still not getting the full speed.

When the engineer was here and tested the line after sorting the fault he got the full 80 down, 20 up on my line.  Using a PC with a wired connection and hub one connected to the master socket I get 61 down and 16 up.  Checking my line profile this evening the last time that was checked was 2017.

I checked in the event log for the hub one and can see it is connecting at full speed:

( 87.960000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=79995Kbps, Up Rate=20000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=12.4dB, Up=15.7dB

So why when doing speed test do I get a much slower rate.  Is there anything else I can do to get the speed any higher, or is this as good as it will be?

6 REPLIES 6
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: BT fault fixed + new router and still slow

fwiw, log into your plusnet account on their website and then check the value of the 'Current Line speed' via this hidden page.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed 

What speedtester are you using?

Have you tried alternatives such as the one hosted at thinkbroadband.com ?

I believe speed tests should max out around 76mb down and 19mb for your given line rate under perfect conditions.

Does your PC have any 3rd party software running on it that might affect speeds?  (eg. Smartbyte bundled with Dell Inspiron notebooks since 2017 play havoc with speed tests)

Packet loss could be another reason.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robbino
Dabbler

current line speed data:

Phone exchange:WORTHING WEST

Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 64Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-10 18:10:42

Current line speed:62.4 Mb

Speed test done on BT wholesale, broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and speedtest.net (connected to Interoute).

PC has no other software running in the background that should affect the internet.  Also tried using a laptop connected to the hub via a network cable and got the same speed. Ping speed is 10ms according to speedtest.net and 19ms according to BT wholesale.

I have run ping plotter, 1 sec interval to bbc.co.uk and attached results.

Also how do I get the hub one firmware updated, current version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 (according to a quick forum search is outdated)

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

Hi @robbino, this may have been down to the Current Line Speed on your account.

Could you try disconnecting and reconnecting your router and let us know if you continue to experience the same slower than expected speeds.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
robbino
Dabbler

Thanks HarryB, speed now 74 down, much better ta.

How do I now get the hub one firmware updated?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies I missed the firmware query on your previous post, however I believe 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 is the latest publicly available firmware.

A colleague confirmed this for another customer a couple of days ago on message 154/155 here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-Firmware-Updates/m-p/1542819#M6562

Could you advise where we've advised this is outdated?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
robbino
Dabbler

I read it on this thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-one-firmware-update/td-p/1531830.

If I had read the whole thread I would have seen I was on the latest version .237 :), whoops sorry.

Thanks for your help HarryB, I will now mark this as fixed Smiley