cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale "IP Profile" doesn't match Plusnet "Internet Profile" - are they different or the same?

Daisybank
Grafter

BT Wholesale "IP Profile" doesn't match Plusnet "Internet Profile" - are they different or the same?

I have unlimited VDSL2 80/20 FTTC.

My Huwawei modem has synced at 77192 down and 19999 up.

Previous speed tests showed that I almost got line speeds up and down (about 78/20), but for a few months now, I have dropped down to 67/17 - whatever time of day.

Suspecting I might have an IP Profile that was stuck a bit low (you can no longer see what it is set at on the Plusnet "Member Centre") I called Support and was told that I had an Internet Profile of 80/20 - so all was OK there and it was probably my router. That's possible, but unlikely, given it is an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin 384.12 connected to the modem with a 300mm Cat6 cable.

Doing the BT Wholesale Speedtest, it tells me "IP Profile for your line is - 71.12 Mbps"

So is a Plusnet "Internet Profile" different from a BT Wholesale "IP Profile" ?

9 REPLIES 9
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: BT Wholesale "IP Profile" doesn't match Plusnet "Internet Profile" - are they different or th...

Hi there @Daisybank

It seems that you were provided inaccurate information by support this morning.

You're provisioned on an 80/20 service. This is just a reflection of what your line is provisioned at and is by no means a measure of how your line is performing.

You've currently got a sync speed of 77.1Mbps.

Your IP profile should update accordingly to reflect your current sync rate but sometimes this can indeed get stuck as you suggested above.

As you're on a static IP,  I can amend this manually. Please reboot your router and you should be back up to an IP profile closer to that of your sync rate.

Daisybank
Grafter

Re: BT Wholesale "IP Profile" doesn't match Plusnet "Internet Profile" - are the

Thanks @Optimatts !

Router rebooted and I have left it a while, but BT Wholesale speedtest still shows the IP Profile as 71.2. 

Does it take some time to propagate?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: BT Wholesale "IP Profile" doesn't match Plusnet "Internet Profile" - are the

Hi @Daisybank, thanks for your response.

It certainly can take a little while to update.

I'd advise giving it 24 hours to see if you notice the change your side, although with the router syncing at 77.1mbps there isn't really anything to worry about - I'd 100% go with the speed you're actually seeing rather than the profile that's displayed.

Daisybank
Grafter

@OskarPapa Thanks - I'll wait.

You are right, I am not concerned about it - 67 is plenty of bandwidth for me (there is no such thing as "high speed" internet - electrons all go the same speed) but it was just indicative of a stuck IP profile - and I didn't want it getting stuck lower 🙂

Daisybank
Grafter

@OskarPapa 

Unfortunately, it has been two weeks now, and BT Wholesale speedtest still reports my IP Profile as 71.2.

My Huwaei modem currently shows Downstream Attainable rate (kbit/s) of 78344 and Upstream 23295 with a downstream line rate of 77192 and upstream of 19999. These numbers are solid - no fluctuation.

Would it be possible to try and nudge the IP Profile again? It's just that working from home I have a lot of video calls and send a lot of VPN data backwards and forwards, so every little helps.

Thanks!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

PlusNet have no control over the BT Wholesale IP profile. It is set by the DLM system and depending on your line conditions (which determine the retransmission or G.Inp level)  can be one of 2 possible values as a percentage of your sync speed. Around 96-97% on lines with retransmission low or around 91-92% with retransmission high. Again this is not something PlusNet can control. 

It would appear that your line is on the lower profile. Surely your 67Mbps throughput speeds are adequate.Smiley

Daisybank
Grafter

You have me confused now Huh

If Plusnet can't control the IP Profile, why did say @Optimatts say:

"As you're on a static IP,  I can amend this manually."

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

PlusNet have a profile, which sometimes does not match the BT Wholesale profile, PN can alter their bit if it gets stuck, but as mentioned above, the have no ability to control the BTW profile.

DLM automatically controls the synch speed and BTW profile, the difference between the two varies slightly if there is interleaving or not.

Or at least that is my simplified version of understanding !!

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Daisybank,

, @Mustrum is correct in that we can only change our side the profile here. I'm glad to hear your syncing within estimates and have solid speeds that do not fluctuate.

Please do let us know if your require further assistance.

Thanks.