Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

FIXED
Kevin
Rising Star

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Is anyone else having the old problem of the BT speed tester to wanting to do the Further Diagnostics test?

"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."

I hadn't tried the test for 6-8 months or so until probably this August, the 5 times I've tried since then all fail.

I remember this being a widespread problem before, and I think Chris was involved in it's fix.

[edit] No speed problems or anything, just curious.

Kevin.
12 REPLIES 12
22over7
Rising Star

Re: BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Yes, I have had the same problem. The first part of the test completes, and within phemto-seconds I ask for the diagnostic tests, and am told I've  timed out. Mind you, I haven't often (but did at least once!) logged into Plusnet over PPOE, and all the exact red rigmarole required.  I've given up. Might it tell you anything believable or useful? 

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

U need to get in touch with Plusnet Staff, this person know all about BT Speedtester with further diagnostics test kept failed but he will fix this problem to the higher team at BT Wholesale. Please contact him in private message below.

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Kevin
Rising Star

Thanks @goldenfibre, just tried that, see if he can help.

Kevin.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

No problem Kevin.

I am confident that he will sort it out for you.

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Fix

I've replied to your PM @Kevin and will do my best. Think it takes about a month to resolve iirc.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a BT database will have incorrect configuration for your line and causes the Speedtester to fail.

Flagging it now though.

Kevin
Rising Star

Sorry @22over7, didn't answer you query. The further diagnostics will give you your BT speed profile, which should then be matched by Plusnet profile to ensure maximum down/up speed is attainable.

Kevin.
Kevin
Rising Star

Thanks Steve.

Kevin.
22over7
Rising Star

Thank you @Kevin

The only browser I have which has flash is Google Chrome, which I think uses Google's rather than Adobe's implementation.  It runs the first part of the test (unlike Firefox, Safari and Opera).

However when I (immediately) click on the button for the diagnostic tests, the response is:

"Test Error. The browser session has timed out. Please refresh the main performance tester page".

Should I suspect that it is Google's "flash" that is not good enough for BT Wholesale?

I don't think I ever received a speed (sync rate?) estimate from Plusnet when I became a customer (05/2014).  I cannot find a record anywhere among my account pages, though several months ago there was a record saying something like: "we do not have an estimate on file".  At any rate, I then ran (TBB) speedtests getting over 69 Mbps. Now they're about 60Mbps. Sync is 66999kbps, attainable > 70 Mbps-ish, snrm 7.3db.  Do I have a Plusnet profile?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@Kevin I am pleased to hear that Steve will sort this out for u in due course for BT Speedtester problem with further Diagnostic Test

Kevin
Rising Star

@22over7 I use Google Chrome too, I don't think that in itself is why your testing fails. However, the error message does sound as if it is computer related/generated. When I try for Further Diagnostics, the webpage has a good think about it before coming back with the error message. Have you another computer you can try it with?Huh

The plusnet profile can be found at...

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed 
(login required)
Mine is currently 66.4Mb, and the Home Hub 5 I'm using says it is connected at 68.681Mb.

Kevin.
22over7
Rising Star

@Kevin: thanks for the advice to try another computer. On a very slow linux machine, with an obsolete chrome, the diagnostics bit of the BT wholesale test ran.

I got [down] 62.53 (actual),  64.78 (profile); [up] 14.99 (actual), 20 (profile). HG612 syncs at 66.9 and 19.9.

Thank you also for finding me my Plusnet profile (ie. data_transfer_speed page)! It says:

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
64.4 Mb

Does that mean that Plusnet's profile for me is 64.4? Or would be if my data transfer speed were estimated? Are downstream speedtests (to several sites) in the region of 60-61 consistent with that DTS? 

To be clear, this is not at all a winge. I just find the terminology of "profiles" a bit mystifying.

Kevin
Rising Star

Yes, your Plusnet profile is 64.4, and your "Real World" speed of 60-61 is correct. 

Kevin.