Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test Faulty

FIXED
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test Faulty

The green result is entirely based on if the throughput is good enough for the IP Profile. It gives no information on if the IP Profile, and therefore, the line rate (sync speed) is meeting the estimates.

Hence, there appears to be no need to run speedtests if your line rate (sync speed) is below the estimates. It does not matter how many speedtests you run or what the results are - the sync speed will still be below the estimate.

If you were connected at 10Mb and were supposed to be getting 80Mb, it'd still give a green result if the download speed achieved was 9.3Mb/s.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Makes sense, i suppose.

So 'the acceptable range of speeds' means nothing in regards to my data transfer speed, which is currently showing as 'Estimated line speed:32Mb (This may vary between 24.1Mb and 32.4Mb) - Checked on 2017-03-13 15:15:59 Current line speed:22.6 Mb' and although the lower estimate is 24.1Mb/s, the fact that 22.6Mb/s is below the estimate, there's nothing I can do (except wait till my contract is up and jump ship back to a LLU connection) or PN can do to rectify this?

'the IP profile for your line' also has no link to the estimated speed or the upper and lower ranges or PN's current line speed.

I genuinely thought that my line speed would have been within the estimated ranges and that any ISP would act on situations where customers were not at least obtaining the lower speed estimate. Sad

The only reason for all of my posts regarding my speed was to do with the (main) fact that even though I've run an ethernet cable from the router to this laptop, youtube is mostly unwatchable. I've even tried using firewall rules to block their CDN which didn't help either, but never mind.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Plusnet Current Line Speed is the IP Profile, and the estimate is in terms of sync speed, so they are not directly comparable. However, the sync speed for the 22.6 Mb IP Profile would be about 23.4 Mb, so slightly below the estimate. Did you already raise a fault about the speed? It's possible that because it's only slightly below the estimate, it's unlikely there's going to be anything a visiting Openreach person can do about it.

Youtube does not require 20 Mb of bandwidth, and even if you did go from having 22 Mb to having 25 Mb, all other things being equal, it wouldn't make any difference to your ability to watch youtube.

Perhaps you could look into ways to check for or monitor packet loss, if you have not done so already. And start your own thread (topic) about it.