BT Vectoring Trials

Do PN have any news on this?
If so is it an open trial? Tongue
208 REPLIES 208
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: BT Vectoring Trials

I'm aware that Openreach will be starting a trial on this, at the moment we don't have full details on where and when but it's likely to be limited to specific areas at the beginning. Once we know the timescales and areas we'll let affected customers know about it from there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shalom2010
Grafter

Chris - I was asking a question on the thinkbroadband forum which relates to this thread - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4230912-can-fttc-handle-speeds-above-80-mbps.html
edwardw
Grafter

Okay,
Ive heard end of may been banded about..
WWWombat
Grafter

It's going to have to be a tightly-controlled trial, I would have thought...
It'll only give BT any meaningful data if they select cabinets with medium-high take-up, and then include everyone on the cabinet in the trial... no matter what ISP they are using.
Then to get running, everyone will need a new modem, or the old modem will require new firmware.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Midville
Grafter

Some more info over at ISPreview along with self install trail.
shalom2010
Grafter

Kevin
Rising Star

I see from http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/04/bt-confirm-first-uk-trial-areas-for-superfast-broadband... that Barnet is one of the areas for the trial.
I'd like to volunteer my connection if Plusnet take part.  Smiley
Kevin.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Kevin - unfortunately your cab isn't included in the trial.
Openreach have selected Cabinets 12, 39 and 74 in Braintree, Essex, and Cabinets 26, 41 and 42 in Barnet, to be the trial sites.
We'll be contacting all of our customers on those cabs shortly to let them know the trial is happening, I'll also be pointing them to this thread if they have any questions or want to give any feedback on the trial.
The way the trial is going to work is that everyone on those cabs on all ISPs will be upgraded to 80/20 and all enabled for Vectoring. A few people will need new modems as they aren't compatible and Openreach will contact them direct to arrange a replacement. The trial is set to run from July to September in Braintree and August to September in Barnet.
If anyone has questions then please post here.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Pyrii
Grafter

Will this Mean BT might open up to 100Mbps profiles for us who have cabs closer than 200m? Having an 80Mbps limit seems like a strange number. It also seems like problems with congestion also need to be fixed too.
James
Grafter

Might have no bearing on the actual answer, but 10 is a nice round number and 80Mbps is 10MBps.
Pyrii
Grafter

True, "8 bits make a byte, and half a byte is a nybble" *stomach rumbles*
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: dave

A few people will need new modems as they aren't compatible and Openreach will contact them direct to arrange a replacement. The trial is set to run from July to September in Braintree and August to September in Barnet.
If anyone has questions then please post here.

Are you able to confirm which modems are compatible?
shalom2010
Grafter

Hi Bald_Eagle - I bet it's the new ones (are there 'old' ones?!)
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

AFAIK, there a number of versions of the Huawei HG612 (version 3b being the most recent) & 2 versions of the ECI modem (/i & /r).