Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtest VERY high

FIXED
markos
Grafter

BT Speedtest VERY high

Hi,

My connection has been a bit temperamental today. I'm a web developer who works from home (and have done for the last 19 years) so I'm pretty familiar with my connection.

At 8am this morning it didn't drop out completely, the Hub One showed it was still connected but I was getting zero throughput. Site's not responding, various taskbar apps reporting no connection, etc. I'm using a wired connection to a W10 machine. Anyway, a soft reboot of the hub returned me to normal service.

Happened again a couple of times since, the last time the soft reboot didn't help, so I physically turned the hub off and turned it back on again. Still seems a bit laggy, did an Ookla Speedtest (Windows 10 app) and it showed it about 20Mbps - I'm usually at 55Mbps'ish. I know it's not that reliable so went to the BT wholesale speedtest site. 100Mbps+ it says! Tried it again, same result! Did the "detailed" test and got this (143Mbps!!!):

btwholesale.png

It says:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 143.87 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-66.77 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 66.77 Mbps

I wish!! 

I've just re-run it - now it's reporting 231.69Mbps!

Let me switch from Chrome to Edge... 60.01 Mbps... Now we're back to normal! Smiley

Maybe I'll reload Chrome and try again... 255 Mbps! 

If you've got speed issues just change browser Cheesy

btwholesale2.png

4 REPLIES 4
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: BT Speedtest VERY high

Fix

If you search the forum for 'speedtest' you'll find plenty examples of what you are seeing.

This thread for example.

markos
Grafter

Interesting!

Whenever I've got speed issues tech support generally suggest I get a reading from the BT speedtest page - I was told it was more reliable than Ookla's speedtest.net reports? 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Support ask you to use BT test as it saves results for them to look at Thumbs_Up

Problem being that Speedtester is Borked and has been for some time Sad especially if you use Firefox Browser

But every time its mentioned here no one from PN chases BT Undecided

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The reason they ask us to use the BT Speedtest is it stores the results and is accessible by BT if a problem gets reported.

Unfortunately it hasn't been working very well with later versions of Firefox and it is now playing silly beggars with Chrome Crazy3

Plusnet are aware that their recommended speedtest is broken when used with certain browsers.

eta: SNAP! @rongtw beat me by a few seconds!