cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub not accepting new username

hwm

BT Smart Hub not accepting new username

Hi,

I have recently move house and taken my BT Smart Hub with me. The Smart Hub was configured to work with Plusnet at the old address. I have connected it to the Mastersocket and it immediately worked perfectly.

Because I need internet at my old address for some time longer I have signed up with a new plusnet account ("johnsmith1").

It is however still registered to my old Plusnet username "johnsmith@plusdsl.net". When I try to update it it to "johnsmith1@plusdsl.net" it just times out on connecting.

Does anyone know if my new username might actually not be "johnsmith1@plusdsl.net" but @something else or is there a limit to numbers or total characters in the username that the smarthub can cope with? The passwords are very similar so I think the problem must be the username (previously had the same behaviour and problem with a character in the password).

Any hints would be appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: BT Smart Hub not accepting new username

@hwm  Try following these instructions from Baldrick1, I think the hub must not be connected to the phone socket when you are setting up the username/password.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@hwm 

1. Have you a new account with a new password? If so are you using it?

2. If you have a new password have you added any special characters to it? If so log into the member centre and change it to alpha numeric characters only.  Ignore messages about using a special one.

3. Are you remembering to disconnect the DSL lead before changing the log in credentials?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hwm

1. Have you a new account with a new password? If so are you using it? yes, using the new password

2. If you have a new password have you added any special characters to it? If so log into the member centre and change it to alpha numeric characters only.  Ignore messages about using a special one. - no special characters

3. Are you remembering to disconnect the DSL lead before changing the log in credentials? - I had not tried this but it made no difference. I disconnected the DSL cable, changed the username and restarted the hub but without any improvement. When I changed it back to "johnsmith" it worked immediately when I click on connect.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Do I need to login once with the actual plusnet hub?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Because I need internet at my old address for some time longer I have signed up with a new plusnet account ("johnsmith1").

@hwm from what you report, it sounds like your new account hasn't been activated yet

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@hwm 

This says to me is that the old account is still active but maybe the new one isn’t. I think that you need a Plusnet staffer to look at it.

Have you tried plugging your new Hub in to see if it connects?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hwm

Thanks for all the help.

I have tried the new hub which connects fine with the new username.

I have also reset the Smart Hub 6 and followed your tutorial again. It failed with "johnsmith1" but then without doing anything different when I removed the 1 it immediately connected.

This is what the log says:

20:14:44, 19 Nov.

:PPPoE connection could not be established. Login failed but there was no detailed information delivered by the radius server.

ppp:PPP: CHAP_FAILURE

ppp:PPP: CHAP_RESPONSE

ppp:PPP: LCP_GOOD_ACK

ppp:PPP: LCP_REQUEST

Does anyone know if there is a limit on length of username that the Smart Hub can deal with or is this maybe a problem with the number in the username?