cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub for new fibre customer

FIXED
lcmb4

BT Smart Hub for new fibre customer

I switched to Plusnet today and had fibre switched on for the first time (was using ADSL with a different ISP previously). The speeds I’m getting are pretty close to those stated when I ordered the package, but they are varying a lot. I have read that there is a period when the line is tested and the max stable speed is established, and during this period the speeds available may vary and connection may drop out occasionally.

I have ordered a BT Smart Hub since my master socket (and therefore router) is at one side of my house and so the other side is suffering badly from signal loss (speeds are much much lower than in the room where the router is), and I have heard that the HH6/smart hub has a much better range than the Plusnet Hub One that I currently have plugged in.

My question is: how long does the line testing period goes on for with a new FTTC customer, and should I wait until that testing period is over before plugging in my new BT Smart Hub? (I’m just thinking that maybe because the new router I’m getting isn’t a stock Plusnet one, that might affect the success of the line testing process?)

Any advice from someone who knows how these things work more than I do would be much appreciated Smiley

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: BT Smart Hub for new fibre customer

Fix

@lcmb4 

Welcome to the forum.

You will probably be told that it will take a couple of weeks for the line to settle. The important thing is not to repeatedly disconnect the router as this can be interpreted as a poor connection and result in speed reduction. Having said that there’s no reason not.to swap to the Smarthub. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... Take special note of when to plug in the DSL cable. If you plug it in before instructed it will not connect.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lcmb4

Re: BT Smart Hub for new fibre customer

Thank you @Baldrick1 for your help.
I’ll get the Smart Hub set up asap then to try and improve my range.

Cheers Smiley