cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Profiling problem - Yet again...

zaphodb
Dabbler

BT Profiling problem - Yet again...

Every couple of months my download speeds are gradually reduced to a crawl. Each time I report this it seems to take plusnet up to a week to pass the problem across to BT for resolution, and then when an engineer eventually turns up, they may/may not resolve the problem correctly. I end up briefing the engineer as to what the problem is. Each time, the line has slowed down due to automatic profiling. I am supposedly on an unlimited package, which has performed to 60MB. Now it is at 34MB (again). Why do I have to keep experiencing this repeated problem? Anyone else? Or is there a way I can resolve this myself without having to wait for plusnet and bt fault processes?
6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: BT Profiling problem - Yet again...

I can see the fault is with our Faults team and they've identified capacity issues in your area.
We'll get this sorted as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
zaphodb
Dabbler

Your words fill me with dread. Capacity issues doesnt sound like something that is going to be fixed quick. Given the data of the thread with regards capacity issues in this forum, 24th June 2015, will it be possible to cancel my contract with Plusnet if it is not possible to deliver the "Unlimited" service I signed up for. The service is inoperable today. Do I get a refund for my payment for not receiving my Unlimited service today?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: zaphodb
Capacity issues doesnt sound like something that is going to be fixed quick.
Oh they don't usually take that long. A week or so perhaps. A month rarely.
will it be possible to cancel my contract with Plusnet if it is not possible to deliver
Probably but who are you going to go with? Most likely the capacity problem is your exchange backhaul so it will be impacting any ISP that uses BT's wholesale service. You'd have to switch to an LLUo (Eg; Talk Talk, Sky) to get round it and even they sometimes miscalculate their backhaul capacity.
Backhaul capacity can be tricky to manage but BT are usually pretty good at it. In most cases it's not a physical limitation. They often just need to reconfigure a network switch or perhaps light up another fibre both of which can (I'd guess) be done by anyone sitting at a keyboard in your regional control centre. In some cases they might need to send someone out to install some more fibre termination equipment but that isn't difficult. Only rarely do they actually need to feed more fibre to an exchange. Best thing is just to be patient and wait a while. You'll probably be back up to full speed before the end of the month.
zaphodb
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
I can see the fault is with our Faults team and they've identified capacity issues in your area.

So how long will I have to wait? I have had no feedback/contact from the faults team yet?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our faults team aim to investigate within 72 hours.
You should have a update by the end of today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
zaphodb
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew

Thank you. Nothing yet, but thanks.