Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Open reach modem getting flakey

hulls
Grafter

BT Open reach modem getting flakey

Hi
I haven't been on here for a long time, but can't get an answer on the support pages. I've had fttc since FOL started doing it, in fact, I was one of the testers. I'm finding that more and more often, I'm having to restart the BT Openreach modem, because I lose internet connection, even though all our devices say they are still connected to the network. I'm assuming that the modem is just getting old.  How do I go about replacing it, or better yet, is there a modem/router option available yet?
John
12 REPLIES 12
plusbg
Grafter

Re: BT Open reach modem getting flakey

Hey, welcome back John 🙂
If PN are at **least** consistent on this, they told me the other day that if ever I have a problem with the modem, PN would want to ask some questions to try and rule out silly issues and then they would send out an Openreach Engineer. At that point, if Openreach find there is an issue with the modem, they will replace it free of charge. Unfortunately, routers and modems are still separate devices although I am aware that there are some trials up and coming you might want to contact PN Technical Support about participating in -> but that of course depends on how reliable you need stuff to be and what the support is like when you encounter issues as a tester 🙂
Sleep well 🙂
hulls
Grafter

Hi
The replies on here are as quick and helpful as ever 🙂
As I said, I'm assuming it's a modem problem, as our devices all say that they are still connected,  although we can't get any on-line services, until I restart the modem.
I'll try contacting PN Support.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

If you raise a fault here we can get that looked into.
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
hulls
Grafter

Thanks for that Matthew
I'll probably give that a go.
John
hulls
Grafter

Hi Matthew
That link doesn't work. Can you point me in the right direction. My internet connection has dropped three times today so far.
John
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: hulls
That link doesn't work.

Works for me OK, try it again. You need to log in mind.
Are you sure it's the Modem causing the issue? Have you tried rebooting the Router?
hulls
Grafter

Embarrassed It works from my computer, maybe it was my work computer that didn't like it.
The reason I think it's the modem is because, as I said, all the devices say they are attached to the network (router), but there is no internet access. I turn the switch off at the wall to reboot, so I'm rebooting both. Next time, I'll try just unplugging the modem, to see if that works. It just seems to be happening more regularly than it used to (I've always had to do it, but it used to be every couple of months, now it's every week)
I suppose another check would be to have a look at the Sky box - that's attached to the network via a Homeplug - so that might point to wifi issues on the router.
Thanks for your help.
John
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, don't do that unplugging the Modem or continuing to Reboot it, you'll probably enrage the wrath of DLM Shocked
First, try logging into your Router and click Disconnect for the Internet connection. Then try rebooting the Router only. You may need to log into it again to click Connect to start a new PPP Internet session.
If you can't log into it in the first place, that does suggest it's a Router issue and it's locking up. So Power it off, and wait about a minute and Power it up again.
I suspect it's likely to be the Router, but if either of those methods doesn't do it, then it may be the modem. But log in to the Router first, click Disconnect and then power it off, wait a minute and then power off the modem. You are best leaving it off for at the absolute minimum of 30 minutes but usually safer if an hour. When you power it up, wait for the lights to stabilise and it finish booting before powering up the Router. You may need to log into it and click Connect.
hulls
Grafter

OK. I'll keep that in mind for the next time. Is it likely though that the router would keep the network going, but drop the internet?
John
Anotherone
Champion

It is possible.I have on a rare occasion had a similar problem.
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Quote from: hulls
That link doesn't work.

Works for me OK, try it again. You need to log in mind.
Are you sure it's the Modem causing the issue? Have you tried rebooting the Router?

Didn't the early HG612's have an overheating problem where they'd get to hot then lock up?
I thought openreach had replaced all the REV1's but it's possible that he slipped through the net, might be worth checking which modem he has, i.e is it a Huawei or an ECI and if it's a Huawei which revision it is.
Anotherone
Champion

Certainly that would be the next avenue if it turns out not to be the router.