Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Infinity to Plusnet

awahwah
Grafter

BT Infinity to Plusnet

Hi Guys,
Put an order in yesterday to move from BT Infinity option 2 to Plusnet.  The order system is asking for a MAC and I've requested this from BT (5 day wait).
My question is, is this really needed?
Thanks,
Tom
7 REPLIES 7
hillyfields123
Grafter

Re: BT Infinity to Plusnet

In a word, yes.
You're moving from one BTW-based provider (is the term WBC?) to another BTW-based provider, therefore you will need a MAC code.
Alternatively you could ask BT to place a cease on your ADSL (they'll charge for this) and then place an order with plusnet. However, if you do this then YOU WILL LOSE SERVICE and so it's probably not recommended.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

One more alternative is a working line takeover.
This usually takes around two weeks for us to complete. It entails Plusnet lightly ceasing your line and reactivating in our name.
Word of warning: You'll lose your phone number.
The MAC is the safest way of migrating, but let me know if you want to go via an alternative way.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
awahwah
Grafter

Thanks for the additional info guys.  I do have one more question, if you guys would be so kind.
I chose to use my own hardware versus the Plus net supplied jobby - I have a Homehub 5. I guess I will not need a Engineer to visit as the switch will be made remotely? All I need to do is configure the HH5 with NY Plusnet username and password?
Thanks in advance guys.
hillyfields123
Grafter

You'll need to notify plusnet of this.
In theory no, you shouldn't need an engineer to visit your property as your line is already routed via the fibre DSLAM and you've either got a VDSL faceplate or microfilters.
Matty can you confirm if a engineer appointment has been made and if so, if it is actually necessary?
awahwah
Grafter

I'm all setup, just need PN to take on the Service, at which point I'll comfigure the HH5 with my WAN credentials. It would certainly be a waste of time for an Engeer to pop along and have to do nothing. But, I guess, if they send one they send one.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

As it's a migration from fibre to fibre, the work will be done remotely for you.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
awahwah
Grafter

Thanks Tony.