cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT IP Profile less than half what it should be

Lambers

BT IP Profile less than half what it should be

Hi - had Plusnet FTTC for quite a while, but performance has been poor lately. The BT Wholesale speed test shows the IP Profile as 21.02 Mbps. Should be >60 I think. Could someone please have a look?

Many thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: BT IP Profile less than half what it should be

Hi there.

Line tests are showing your router in sync at 22.8mbps which indicates a more physical problem than a stuck profile and we're also seeing a high resistance fault somewhere along the line. This could be caused by various things like a faulty router, DSL cable, microfilter, internal wiring or an actual line fault.

Are you still using the Openreach modem and Technicolor router combination from long ago? If you are then I'd assume it's connected into the master socket as I suspect an engineer would've gone round at the time to fit it.

What I'd recommend trying next is a different modem/router and associated equipment like microfilter/cables. We'll be happy to send you a Hub One which is a newer all in one modem router although we may need to recontract you to send one out free of charge, if you'd like to try this I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632.

If you want to buy a 3rd party router instead the guide Here should assist when setting it up. 

If you've already replaced the modem/router we've provided would it be possible to try a different one? It may be worth trying the steps Here to rule out an issue with the faceplate of your master socket or the wiring behind the faceplate.

Finally if you're still having issues I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net and we'll arrange an engineer with you to investigate further. Let us know if you need any further advice or do raise a fault and we'll be happy to help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet