cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 5 Questions

northspoon
Dabbler

BT Home Hub 5 Questions

I want to use a BT Home Hub 5 that I have been given instead of the BT modem and Plusnet Technicolor router. I have FTTC. I am reasonably technical, but know nothing about routers, so I have a few questions:
1. The Home Hub I have been offered is a Type A. Is that better than Type B? I have read about some issues on this Forum.
2. Do I connect to my PC only at first to change the settings in the Home Hub, or do I need to connect to the line as well?
3. What do I need to change to get the Home Hub to work with Plusnet?
4. Should I turn off the Smart Set Up, and if so where do I do this?
5. Anything else that I need to do as well, such as Firmware updates? If so how do I do this?
6. Can I use the USB socket on the Home Hub to connect a printer for sharing?
7. With Dual Band Wi-Fi should I give each a different name. I understand that it has the same name as a default. Is there any benefit?
I don't do any gaming, i just want to achieve better Wi-Fi coverage in the house. I hope the Home Hub will be better than the Technicolor.
8 REPLIES 8
launton
Grafter

Re: BT Home Hub 5 Questions

1. The Home Hub I have been offered is a Type A. Is that better than Type B? I have read about some issues on this Forum.
It's just a different chipset, I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference

2. Do I connect to my PC only at first to change the settings in the Home Hub, or do I need to connect to the line as well?
You can connect to it's wireless to do all the changes if you wish, but first perform a factory reset by holding a paperclip in the reset button for 20 seconds.  This disables the BT Fon part and prevents you sharing your connection with the world

3. What do I need to change to get the Home Hub to work with Plusnet?
Nothing, just put your username and password in (use advanced settings to access areas you need it's all pretty obvious)

4. Should I turn off the Smart Set Up, and if so where do I do this?
Switch it off it just pipes a web page to your PC to help with connected devices.  While you're there change the SSID's of the 2.4G and the 5G so they're separate

5. Anything else that I need to do as well, such as Firmware updates? If so how do I do this?
No idea but I think they're automatic

6. Can I use the USB socket on the Home Hub to connect a printer for sharing?
No idea

7. With Dual Band Wi-Fi should I give each a different name. I understand that it has the same name as a default. Is there any benefit?
Yes see above

I don't do any gaming, i just want to achieve better Wi-Fi coverage in the house. I hope the Home Hub will be better than the Technicolor.
I found it to be better for a friend who did the same.

If you have the option to keep the BTO modem and use your HH5 for the internet you can reboot your router to your hearts content without upsetting DLM and slowing your connection, but that's just a personal preference
The routers default webpage is 192.168.1.254
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The BT HomeHub 5 Type B is a lot more stable than the Type A where as type A would randomly reboot daily and sync slightly lower compared to the type B it maintains the connection and improved sync wireless 5ghz is more stable compared to the type A.

Connection Information

Line state:
Connected 
Connection time:
11 days,13:53:29 
Downstream:
69300 kbps 
Upstream:

northspoon
Dabbler

Thank you both for the help......there might be more questions when I actually get the Home Hub.
I might start looking for a Type B as well
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is a problem with the type A and G.INP as it doesn't support it I believe
northspoon
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
There is a problem with the type A and G.INP as it doesn't support it I believe

That is my lack of knowledge.....what is G.INP and do I need it?
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

There is a problem with the type B using a DMZ and port forwarding........
northspoon
Dabbler

Quote from: Champnet
There is a problem with the type B using a DMZ and port forwarding........

Thank you for the reply....but as I mentioned, I don't understand some of the technical terms. Can you tell me what this problem meams please?
hillyfields123
Grafter

G.INP is a new technology that BT are planning on rolling out that protects lines against REIN, a type of electrical interference.
A DMZ is a virtual space in which you can forward all ports to a single device, thus disabling the firewall for this device. This isn't a problem if you don't know what port forwarding is.