Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 2

FIXED
Groucho
Hooked

BT Home Hub 2

Hi

I am intending to upgrade my Plusnet router to a BT Home Hub 2, and was planning to buy one on eBay.

However I am confused about whether there are different Home Hub 2 routers for ADSL and Fibre? And if so, how do I tell the difference? 

Realise this may be a bit of a noob question but thought it was better to ask before buying 😀

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: BT Home Hub 2

Welcome to the forums, @Groucho . The BT Home Hub 2 aka HH6 is dual ADSL/VDSL - the only variants are the Home or Business, the difference between the two being that the Business version is a little more configurable.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Groucho  Welcome to the forum.

I sincerely hope that you are referring to a Smarthub 2 and not the ancient Home Hub 2?
All Smarthubs work on both ADSL and fibre.

Why are you going for the more expensive Smarthub 2? These are only better than  the Smarthub 6 if you have a matching satellite mesh unit. Their downside is that you can’t split the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

Alternatively consider a Business Smarthub 6 and get the additional setting options.

Settings for either. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the clarification/advice @Baldrick1 

(Note to self: stay off the Router board)😉

John
Groucho
Hooked

Thanks - so why is this router being described as ADSL? 

eBay Router listing.jpeg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

Because that IS an ancient Home Hub 2 NOT a Smart Hub 2. Its not suitable for Fibre

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Looking at that listing, @Groucho  - because it is the 'ancient' Hub2 referenced by @Baldrick1 , and not the SmartHub 2.

Edit @MisterW  beat me to it.😉

John
Groucho
Hooked

Thanks (and @jab1) - you have now cleared up my confusion.

I think this particular listing was also being deliberately vague in its opening description. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Groucho wrote:

I think this particular listing was also being deliberately vague in its opening description. 

Rather than deliberately vague I would call it definitely if not deliberately misleading!

Some care is needed. I have also seen HH5s described as Smarthubs.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'