Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Have Dropped My IP Profile

JeanofKinver
Dabbler

BT Have Dropped My IP Profile

BT have dropped my profile
Download speedachieved during the test was - 44.16 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 31.93 Mbps-45.62 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 45.62 Mbps
When I decided to take Fibre the checker said I could get speeds in excess of 60Mbps. When it was installed I was given 51Mbps. I had hoped that with some stability, over time, this profile would go upwards. Instead it has fallen. I see no reason, I haven't noticed any dropped connections or outages so why?
My upstream is still at 10Mbps which is also quite disappointing.
Any ideas? Anyone?
6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: BT Have Dropped My IP Profile

Our tests aren't showing a fault and the speed drop isn't down to DLM.
It could well be down to Crosstalk as more users in your area swap onto FTTC.
Unfortunately it's not big enough of a drop for our suppliers to class this as a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JeanofKinver
Dabbler

Oh Joy I just have to suck it up.
Look I know it isn't plusnet but BT but I really don't like it. This what the BT DSL Checker says
                      High Low      High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.7 50.9 20 13.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 59.5 35     19.9   9.6  -- Available
Based on that I was expecting to get about 55MBPS download. I originally got 51, now I am getting up to 45. I suppose next week it will be down to 40 and then to 35 which is the low, impacted figure. And this will happen as we have only had fibre here for around a month and more and more people are connecting in this village every day. Open reach vans swarming around everywhere, people complaing on Facebook that their installation date is 2-3 weeks away. This can only impact things in a bad way unless they decide to do more upgeading work.
I am so disappointed by this but I suppose I just have to accept it. I am just sickened when I see some people are getting 75Mbps in the next street....
djtoastie
Grafter

Dont just suck it up man, it takes people like us to complain until things are actually fixed.
Have you raised a fault ticket yet? Not that, that does any good, but it officially logs the fault and sometimes they even fix it
redhedgehog42
Grafter

I had very similar situation where my speeds fell over an extended period of many months and BT kept changing my profile so that the actual speed being received always  fell within the "acceptable parameters" for the then current profile! Very frustrating.
Eventually after many conversations with Plusnet, who were always sympathetic (conversations which included me providing lots of evidence of the history of my speeds)  - it was agreed that there seemed to be a fault in the copper circuit from my cabinet and an engineer was tasked by BT to deal with it. He found and corrected a fault but then he found that speeds had actually dropped further and said he could do no more. Then Plusnet agreed that the speed I was getting fell short of what could reasonably be expected and they arranged for another engineer visit.  Two more BT engineers called, they spent about 4 hours testing and working on the line and found more faults. They dealt with those and things improved markedly (long may it last).
The moral seems to be - raise a fault ticket, provide lots of evidence, argue your case clearly and calmly and keep pushing - and things will eventually get sorted. Providing, of course, that there is a real fault and that there is a technically feasible solution.
I have found that Plusnet have always been prepared to listen and help where possible so don't give up.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I have had similar experiences to yourself Seahog. My speeds fell, but the BTW profile fell with them to keep it all in the green, eventually I lost my Fibre Unlimited Extra Service (80/20) which was down graded to fibre unlimited (40/20) because PlusNet could no longer supply the Extra service, they said. In the meantime speeds crept up and I was connected at 45Mbps for some weeks, up until last Monday, which delivered 40Mbps at the PC (cable or WiFi) during Monday my speed at the PC has dropped back to 35Mbps.
Having seen and met a number of BTO Engineers over the past year (is there any profit in FTTC, I wonder?), I note that all seem to have a different approach to the problem ("pet concerns" might sum it, looking for something that they usually find to be a an issue -or a cure - first and foremost). All are time limited, getting the requisite number of jobs done per day is always a priority, and I think that BT/Manager pressure makes any improvement reason to move on. If time was no object, I get the feeling that faster speeds would result because time would be spent checking each aspect, with things like remaking connections, and better routing cables in the cabinet, each one of which probably adds or loses speed depending on its condition.
In other words, if a VIP or a member of the Royal family lived at our address, better would be achieved, they don't and commercial considerations take precedence. The cable ducted from my cabinet under the road had some damp problems back in the day and we were getting crossed phone lines as a result, finding a clean pair to transfer to was nigh impossible, so the best spares were determined, dried out, and connected in a waterproofed enclosure (manhole is in the lowest point in the road which gets soaked in rainfall). I suspect that those cables are a source of speed loss, but all the while they work, they won't be replaced.
SpiritualBeggar
Grafter

Quote from: JeanofKinver
Oh Joy I just have to suck it up.
Look I know it isn't plusnet but BT but I really don't like it. This what the BT DSL Checker says
                      High Low       High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.7 50.9 20 13.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 59.5 35     19.9  9.6   -- Available

Seems to be a pattern forming here, regarding falling sync rates/profiles.
Spooky! Your DSL checker stats are exactly the same as mine and I mean "exactly".
I had a very similar problem where my throughput  fell over a period of time and the BT profile also decreased. In turn the actual speed being received always fell within BTs lowering profile. After 2 tickets a fault was found and an engineer was booked.
The very nice BT gentleman discovered that in addition to my ECL router being flakey (when disconnected, it was still showing as connected), the card in the cabinet I was connecting to was only outputting 60Mb as opposed to 80Mb. He replaced the card and moved me over to another new one (just in case). I'm now waiting for Plusnet to increase my current throughput to coincide with BTs increased profile.
Just keep prodding!