cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRAS / MSAN mismatch, no CRCs, reasonable Sync, but PN want a BT Visit! Why?

mossywell
Grafter

BRAS / MSAN mismatch, no CRCs, reasonable Sync, but PN want a BT Visit! Why?

Hi all, this is a follow up to this sudden speed drop issue:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Sudden-drop-in-speed-coinciding-with-new-WAN-IP/m-p/13...

(Call ID 138293138 )

In summary:

1. I'm on the 80/20 package.

2. Sync is about 68 Mbps

3. Actual speed is 38 Mbps and coincides perfectly with a move to the new PN network

4. There are NO CRC errors.

5. 2 previous engineer visits (for a different problem) - both gave the physical line the all-clear

6. The line test says "BRAS Service Speed and MSAN Service Speed are Inconsistent"

PN want to send a BT engineer out to visit! To me, this looks like a config error, not a physical line error. So, why the visit? I've already used up a day's annual leave for the previous 2 visits (neither of which were needed in the end). And now I have to take more unplanned time off (which I don't have) for what looks like to me a totally unnecessary visit. To make it worse, I am being requested to accept the cost if it comes to it. 

Can someone please confirm, either:

1. I'm wrong and actually it definitely needs a BT engineer physically to visit. Or

2. It's a config problem and can be dealt with from BT's NOC.

(Also, should I plan 6 days annual leave next year for the monthly BT engineer visit?)

TVM

2 REPLIES 2
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: BRAS / MSAN mismatch, no CRCs, reasonable Sync, but PN want a BT Visit! Why?

Mossywell,

Looks like you are right that there is no physical issues. If there is a MSAN/BRAS issue plusnet wont be able to fix and so sometimes t he only way to get BT Wholesale/Openreach to fix is to get an engineer out who has the apps on their phone to do certain types of reset etc, sometimes they can happen without the user being present sometimes they do, can be frustrating for what should be something BT can reset remotely...

mossywell
Grafter

Re: BRAS / MSAN mismatch, no CRCs, reasonable Sync, but PN want a BT Visit! Why?

I guess I find it hard to believe that the system is such that an engineer's time has to be paid for (by someone) and a customer's time has to be wasted for what is almost certainly a 5 minutes fix at the OR NOC. It's madness and most irritatingly, PN (not the forum team in fairness) have this knack of complete and utter indifference.