Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awkward issues with my connection and WiFi

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Awkward issues with my connection and WiFi

Hi Robert, thanks for posting back. Sorry for the latency issues you're still experiencing. Sad

If you don't mind me asking, what game(s) do you play that you get lag on and is it on all games? Have you tried changing the ethernet cable between your computer and router?

Also I know you've said you still get the issue with wireless devices switched off, but do you have any other devices using the broadband and is there anything running in the background on the computer you're gaming from?

As a heads up, Google will what's called 'rate limit ICMP' like a lot of servers including our own, which means that some hops will show high latency or even time out completely, but that's not necessarily an issue, because those hops will be prioritising Internet traffic rather than responding back to your ping request.

I'd run a ping or traceroute (the command line is tracert) to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com as that's designed to accept and respond to pings. 

Let me know how you get on, I'd be happy to do a bit of digging and testing for you next week when I'm back in the office. Smiley

[edit]

When looking at a traceroute, the odd high latency or time out shouldn't be an issue, what you'd look out for is a continuous string of hops giving high latency all the way on to the end. Generally if that happens, the first hop may be the problem. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robert2601
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf Cheesy 

There are 3 games I can notice this: Counter Strike Global Offensive, PUBG and Assetto Corsa. But it's most noticable on CSGO. I have not tried changing the ethernet cable but I might give that a tire as well. 

I always check the xbox and my little brother's pc to see if they are downloading something but they never do. I sometimes open the "Resource Monitor" and I end some tasks there but in general, there's nothing fishy going on in the background. 

I did run a ping test to "pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com" and it was not a constant and low MS. I will attach a screenshot down bellow. 

I can also run this ping test to CSGO server that I am playing on. But for me to do that, I need to play an actuall game. Since you said you would be happy to help me out when you are back in the office, I can gather some information and tests during this weekend and then I will be able to provide them to you next week. 

Thank you very much Cheesy 

Goodnight! Smiley 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Robert, thanks for the detail. No problem, let me know next week how your gaming went this weekend. I'll look into this further for you tomorrow too. Cheers and good night as well. Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robert2601
Hooked

@Gandalf 

Hi there,

I am sorry I haven't messaged you earlier as I said I would but I went to the Peak District (had an amazing time there).

With that being said, I still did some testing and all that. I now know why I have lag spikes. I have lag spikes when the xbox is on and my partents are on Netflix; for some reason the xbox causes thos lag spikes. 

I will go on the xbox tomorrow and go through the network settings maybe I can find something that would help me. I would still appreciate and accept some advice Cheesy 

Thank you in advance Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Robert, no problem the Peak District is a really cool place right? Cheesy

Let me know how your gaming goes. Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet