cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful, awful wifi over Hub One - help!

jlinn

Awful, awful wifi over Hub One - help!

Hi,
I recently returned to Plusnet about a month ago, and I sorely wish I hadn't bothered. My Plusnet Hub One's wifi is absolutely awful with some but not all of my devices. Plusnet tech support were not helpful when I called, and I'm at my wit's end. Can anyone help?
What' the problem? WiFi connectivity is almost entirely unusable on some of my devices, typically crawling along at 200-500Kbps, or just timing out completely. On others I can get up to 36Mbps, which is the same as I can get with a wired connection. My old BT Hub 3 easily got 20+ Mbps on all devices in any locations in my house.
In particular my nice new laptop is almost never capable of connecting at above 1Mbps ... except on those rare occasions when it rattles along at 20meg+. So, I know that the router's wifi can work rapidly, but I cannot find a way to get a stable, fast connection whether it's in the loft or right next to the router. And it will work quickly on one device whilst slouching on another.
I really don't think this router interference or contention problem. Has anyone got any bright ideas?
Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Awful, awful wifi over Hub One - help!

A few things to try:
1. Switch off smart setup
2. Don't opt for the synch 2.4 and 5Ghz channels - and add a 5 to the 5Ghz SSID so you know which connection you are making.
3. Make sure the Wireless settings are set to " Up to300 Mb/s)
4. Don't use the smart wireless, download a WiFi  channel analyser, such as "insider" and set the channels to least used ones available.
Hope this helps.
jlinn

Thank you Mustrum. No dice I'm afraid Sad
I have separated the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs as you suggested but it doesn't make a difference. I've tried selecting a few channels instead of auto selection, but again no effect. Everything operates on the 2.4 channel except my mobile phone, which cheerfully goes like the clappers on 5GHz. All the devices that work well seem to do so all the time.
I tried a piece of software called Acrylic Wi-Fi which suggests a terrible s/n ratio, which is all well and good but for the fact that other devices don't seem to suffer the same way. Still at a loss Sad
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Have you tried  a alternative modem/router  to see if yours has a fault ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jlinn

Nope, not switched out the router because it clearly works well and reliably with some devices.
John_Essex
Grafter

I suspect that you possibly have a faulty aerial in your hub one.  I have just set mine up and I am very pleased with the wireless coverage from it. Much better than the old Belkin one I used to have on ADSL.
You should be able to use your laptop as a signal strength meter by clicking on the icon in the task bar showing the wireless link. This will bring up a list of all the wireless connections available along with the signal strength of each one. (windows 7)
With this display in view wander around with the laptop and keep your eye on the signal strength. see if it drops rapidly as you start to move away. As I said I am more than happy with my hub one and I can still get a couple of bars showing even when outside the house 2 rooms and a couple of brick walls distant from the router.
tmoscrop
Dabbler

I've tested your service and noticed a potential performance related Issue. It may be worthwhile raising this to our faults team for further investigation, in the meantime I'd advise testing another router to see if the problem persists across devices, once we establish where the problem lies we'll be able to get this fixed for you.
You can raise a fault here: https://t.co/gEuVRykpnc
jlinn

Thanks for your attention tmoscrop. Could you describe the issue you have found?
I have now :-

• Moved the router a bit

• Moved a DECT phone base a bit

• Updated my laptop's WiFi adapter drivers

• Returned the Hub One to original settings (300Mbps, auto select), apart from discrete SSIDs for 2.4/5GHz

Something seems to have worked because I'm now getting good speeds on mine and my daughter's laptops, but my son's elderly iPod is still very slow whereas it used to be spritely on the BT Hub 3. Perhaps it was just moving the hardware that did it, although they were in exactly the same places as with the Hub 3 which ran without a problem for so long.
For the time being and until it all goes to pieces again I'm going to hope this is solved.
scottymc
Grafter

Hi mate its just a thought
I had a DECT phone and it played havoc with my WiFi
Unplug the phone from the mains and see if the problem is any better ..
When we did it the WiFi worked as it should