cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting an install and thining on hardware

Neilj
Dabbler

Awaiting an install and thining on hardware

I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on hardware, I take it the standard setup is an openreach VDSL modem with a basic router courtesy of plusnet. So, I suppose this raises a few of questions:
1. is this setup any good?
2. Can one use an integrated VDSL modem/router?
3. If Yes to 2, which one would folks recommend?
4. Finally, if 2 and 3 are a go, where may I locate the settings?
Many thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Awaiting an install and thining on hardware

I can't answer many of your questions, but to the first one, I am using the Openreach modem and Plusnet router (TG582n).
The router gets slammed quite regularly with a lot of people saying it is useless. My experience is that it is a reliable basic router. I have had routers in the past, some big brand names, and their performance and reliability has been variable. The TG582n has run for months and months on end without causing any issues. Probably the biggest complaint I hear about it is the wireless range and speed. I don't find it a problem, but there are definitely other routers out there that will give better wireless performance. I have port forwarding set up, dynamic DNS, and it all seems to work fine.
As for the Openreach modem, I was supplied with the ECI model. It was fine until this G.Inp issue came along. I have since purchased a cheap Huawei modem (HG612) and it resolved the G.Inp issue for me.
Some people prefer the combined modem router. I started off thinking that was the best approach. I kind of prefer the separate modem and router for the moment.
My suggestion would be to try the supplied equipment before purchasing anything. If you end up not liking it, then take the plunge. There are a lot of recommendations on the forum for combined units.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You can use an integrated VDSL modem/ router, have a look at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html for some useful info.
If you decide to go for a combined unit there's usually someone around who can assist with settings.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gkf9
Grafter

I'm with post 2, I was all ready  to buy some new hardware before my fibre was installed on the 20th of April after reading that the PN router was lame. Apart from the phone and fibre problems I'm having at the moment, I've not had any problems with the router.
Yes it's still early days yet, but I've managed to port forward and give some of my devices a static IP address address with out any probs and all seems to be working fine atm.
The wifi is no worse than what it's replacing and reaches all parts of the house with a good signal.
I'd deffo give it a try first before splashing out and see how you go.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Using the Plusnet supplied equipment for a month or so will give you a base line about how good the FTTC set-up is for you.
Also if/when you have a problem then being able to plug back in the Plusnet supplied equipment will give Plusnet support some guide lines. If you use your own kit, they could say we don't support it and that your kit is the problem.
I bought my own kit after 4 months and when I had issues 5 months later, Plusnet wanted to know how their kit handled the situation so I was able to swap it across and to show that it had no effect on the issues.
Get it working first then worry about fine tuning.
Ask the installer for a HG612 modem though, see all the threads about G.INP for the reasons why.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Neilj
Dabbler

Thank you all for your advice and guidance, nice to get some views from reality on this.