cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication and IP Config Failure

spendare
Dabbler

Authentication and IP Config Failure

Hi, please help - I am getting continued wifi connection issues with my Plusnet router from multiple devices and none of them will maintain a wifi connection.

Mainly testing from my Pixel 3xl but seen the same problems on a pixel 2xl and a Nokia 7.1, Pixel slate and a Chrome Cast.

The phones will not maintain a constant WiFi connection so every time I open them, they try to reconnect - they will initially connect, then connection drops and most of the time will not reconnect directly to the router - they will however connect to my wifi booster

I get was getting an error "Authentication Error" - Searched for this yesterday and followed your instructions HERE

to split the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies out - this seemed to work last night but an getting issues again today - in fact this morning I've been getting "IP Configuration Failure" on the phones when it tries to re connect.

I've done a manual rescan to find best channels - made no difference

Looking at the logs, I get client associated and dissociated messages every 10 secs:

11:04:41, 25 Apr. ath00: STA 3c:28:6d:13:c8:01 IEEE 802.11: Client associated

11:04:38, 25 Apr. ath00: STA 3c:28:6d:13:c8:01 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated

11:03:52, 25 Apr. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:a8:61:d5 IEEE 802.11: Client associated

11:03:52, 25 Apr. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:a8:61:d5 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated

11:03:51, 25 Apr. ath00: STA 3c:77:e6:92:a5:3e IEEE 802.11: Client associated

Please can you advise how to  resolve this, it's very frustrating.  Thanks

I'm on a FTTP connection if that makes any difference

19 REPLIES 19
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Authentication and IP Config Failure

Hi @spendare,

Please accept my apologies for the issue with your broadband service.

Thank you for confirming that you have split the 2.4GHz / 5GHz frequency bands. After testing the line, it appears stable leading up to the router. As you have split the frequency bands, could you try changing the wireless channel by following the guide below for both bands then try connecting to each of them individually.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) In your  'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals.

Alternatively you can try the smart wireless channel selection, you can do this by following the guide below.

1) Go to 'Settings'.

2) Click 'Refresh your wireless channel to avoid interference'.

3) Hit 'refresh' at the bottom of the page.

4) Once complete, allow a few minutes for the new channel to take effect

If you haven't done so already, due the the message 'IP Configuration Failure' please factory reset the router by holding a pin or paper clip in the reset slot at the back until the light goes green then allow some time for the service to reconnect.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
spendare
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, I have already clicked on the refresh for the smart wireless as you described.

Appreciate it's not the connection leading to the router as I have 2 PC's on an Ethernet connection and these remain stable.

I will try a factory reset - can you advise though please, should my phones maintain a constant wifi connection?

Is it abnormal for them to reconnect every time I try to use them? 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@spendare wrote:

...should my phones maintain a constant wifi connection?

Yes

Is it abnormal for them to reconnect every time I try to use them? 

Yes

It is worth downloading a free wifi sniffer app, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone. With this you can see all the channels in use and select the best. Check both at the router location and where you use your devices.

Also now that you've split the bands have you tried each in turn? If you've followed the standard advice you will only be looking at the 2.4GHz band. You need to go back into your device wifi settings and connect to the 5GHz band.

When you've had enough of Plusnet's router go onto Ebay and buy a BT Smarthub 6 for around £20. Just make sure that you get the FTTC version. This has four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid the FTTP version, which has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN ports. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spendare
Dabbler

Thank you @Baldrick1 - this has been doing my head in for several months now, even bought a new phone as I thought it was a problem with the Nokia I had before (still was a good excuse to get the 3xl!)

I am close to ditching the PlusNet router.... Might actually consider swapping ISP's completely although I'm on FTTP so limited choices.  Which also leads me to ask, you say get the FTTC BT router and avoid the FTTP one - surely I would need the FTTP one though as I'm on FTTP...

Thanks again

Dan

Baldrick1

Yes you would need the FTTP version. I understand that this needs you to also have a modem.

Moderator and Customer

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

even bought a new phone as I thought it was a problem with the Nokia I had before (still was a good excuse to get the 3xl!)

If all the usual fixes do not fix the issues with authentication, could you please post up the routers software version - it's located at the bottom of any router page.

(I could be wrong, but kinda guessing it ends in 263 - if it does the replacement phone was probably a waste of money too).

spendare
Dabbler

@DS - you guessed right Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 01/03/19 This is probably around when I started having problems also! Are there known problems with this version? Can it be roll back to a previous version? @Jubby - Tried everything you have suggested including the factory reset but phones are still dropping the connection and failing to authenticate when it re-connects to the wifi
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for clarifying and yes some of us are having issues with the latest software release. Drop a reply over on the following link, but link back to your posts (the forums are broken atm, so it might be best to hang on a while). Yes it can be rolled back but there is a backlog so it won't happen quickly. - https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Could-this-be-a-bug-with-firmware-4-7-5-1-83-8-263-or-Window...
spendare
Dabbler

Seems like there's always something broken @ PlusNet! Will add my details to the thread to give them more data to understand this problem I am however about to buy a new router (just eyeing up the TP-Link AC1200) to see if this makes a difference. I even went as far as signing up with BT last night they will at least give me the full 300Mb my FTTP line is capable of - PlusNet throttle me to 80Mb for some reason. Had to cancel my order with BT though as they need me to cancel my PlusNet line first and Plusnet billing system was down yesterday afternoon!
DS
Seasoned Champion

I totally understand what you're saying!! But as per Baldrick1's post, in your case a FTTP BTSH6 would be a cheaper option. Some pay around £30, others pay much less (around £20). If you do decide to get one of these (I'm running one too, but got mine for free;)) try and get one that is still in a sealed box. A friend of a friend bought one recently and it didn't work (turns out the previous owner must have hit it (hard) as the casing was cracked). Those of us using a H6 have found them to be a decent router. I'm not sure why you're only getting 80Mbps, I honestly thought Plusnet was offering the max on a FTTP connection, maybe they've fluffed the account, hence the restriction?
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for adding your details to the linked thread, @spendare - Just a quick update to let you know we've seen it and will respond when we have further updates on the rollback/firmware queries.

Best wishes

Dave

Baldrick1

The maximum speed Plusnet offered on the FTTP trial was 80Mbps.

Moderator and Customer

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for clarifying the speed Baldrick1 - seems a bit 'restricting', but guess if they gave it the full beans they'd be in competition with their owner.
Baldrick1

To be fair I believe that the cost was the same as fot FTTC fibre extra plus those on the trial could cancel the line rental charge and use an IP phone provider. A bit of a bargain if you were one of the fortunate few.

Moderator and Customer