cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Error

FIXED
marcusbee

Re: Authentication Error

I assume that this is still an ongoing investigation.

I too have the same issue with my hub one.

I have discovered that if I turn off the 5ghz wifi and turn it back on, then turn off and on the wifi on the device that had the authentication error, it reconnects. Obviously not really acceptable but allows devices to connect.

I can also confirm that issue occurs if you turn off synchronization between bands and if you just leave the 2.5Ghz band available.

Should I raise this as a fault with plusnet?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @marcusbee,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It's odd that would occur, though I'm glad to hear this workaround has seemingly resolved the problem. Is this something that's happening frequently, or has it only happened once or twice?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
marcusbee

I have it quite frequently, probably at least every other day. I notice it most on my phone If i leave the house when I come back it does not reconnect.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi marcusbee, are they all Apple devices or a mix maybe?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
marcusbee

No Samsung Galaxy s5 and s9 and a kindle fire. Also sometimes have issue with my laptop pc If i have put it to sleep instead of logging off.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, cheers. Have you been able to factory reset the router? I'd definitely try that next if you haven't already. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chaza218

I too am experiencing this issue across 

- Microsoft Surface Pro 5
- Samsung Note 9
- Samsung S9 

I have done factory resets of the router etc etc and the issue persists. 

I should also note that I do have:

Google Home Mini
Chromecast
Chromecast audio

If I recall a while ago, there was a historic issue with Google devices de-authing wireless devices, but I thought that was fixed.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Chaza218,

Are you on the latest firmware on your devices as updating the device firmware did manage to fix the issue for the people that had similar issues.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
marcusbee

Tried a reset. I worked for about a week then went back to not allowing devices to reconnect. Have turned off 5ghz wireless for the last 3 weeks and not have any issues with connection. So issue is definitely with the 5ghz wireless. Not sure if it is related to giving your devices meaningful names which i do so that i know what is connecting to my network.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi marcusbee, could you check what firmware version your router has please? You can do this by logging into the config page and going to "troubleshooting" then "helpdesk". 

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chaza218

Ref giving custom names that is something I do as well. 

I have not had this issue since my Router has been replaced however

marcusbee

As requested router version:

marcusbee

Had to reste the router again and the 5ghz broadband came back on. I letf everything as default but a few days later my devices faile to connect again. So I have turned it off again. Has anyone had any joy fixing this?

Trixiemay
Grafter

If you have the hub 1 router then https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363 may be of interest.  There is a known problem with the router that causes many errors with the wifi.

Trixiemay
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler wrote:

It also may be worth desyncing the wireless bands if you haven't done so already. There's a guide here that shows how to do this

That works for a while but the problem often returns for many users.