Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attainable rate vs. Line rate

ericelgato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Attainable rate vs. Line rate

According to the Member Centre my current line speed is 64.4Mbps. Speed tests give me about 62Mbps. 

I used to get 70Mbps-ish on speed tests before I had a line fault that knocked it right down. The fault was fixed, but the connection never fully recovered. This was over 12 months ago and the line has been stable since then. 

Today I decided to have a look at the line stats on my HG612. According to the HG612 my line rate is 66999Kbps with an attainable rate of 74616Kbps. I was wondering why there's a 7.5Mbps difference, and if it's possible to get it back?

4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Attainable rate vs. Line rate

have you tried forcing a resync while the attainable is higher than the current sync?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ericelgato
Rising Star

What do you mean by 'force a resync'?

I've tried switching the router and modem off for a while before reconnecting. I can't see that there's anything else I can do from my end.

I've had roughly the same gap between attainable and line rate for a long time. After the line fault DLM gradually increased the sync but stopped before it recovered to it's original level.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

66,999k looks like a banded value, so there's probably nothing you can do from your end to remove it. It would require an engineer visit to remove the banding by a DLM reset. It's unfortunate this wasn't done back when the fault was fixed, although if it were a voice fault, then the broadband doesn't get touched.

The only other thing to consider is that when interleaving is in use, the attainable rate is often higher than the actual rate. That's because the attainable rate is loosely defined, and can be calculated using different parameters than what the line actually has to use.

ericelgato
Rising Star

That's basically what I feared.

I can't see PlusNet wanting to get involved if an engineer visit would be required.