cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocious Peak time speeds

Zico
Grafter

Atrocious Peak time speeds

Last night, sometime around 8:30pm onwards, I noticed that general web browsing was crawling and normal websites (Amazon etc.) were failing to load images etc. which I put down to possible Cyber Monday overload.
I then carried out a speedtest via Think Broadband and Speedtest.net with both sites giving me download speeds of ~3mb and similar upload speeds. My PlusNet line profile is 78mb and my IP Profile is 77.43mb with download speeds through Steam backing up the highest speeds I could achieve.
Attached are screen snips from BT Wholesale speedtests both via PlusNet and via BT Wholesale login (TAP 3) from Monday and a BT Wholesale test from tonight.
from potentially 75mb to 3mb is shocking. It's the same tonight. All speed tests are wired logins with just myself connected to the network. If I had the rest of the household connected I expect the network would grind to a halt.
8 REPLIES 8
hbb98
Dabbler

Re: Atrocious Peak time speeds

I'm in Edinburgh, at the moment connected bia bng02.
I've noticed in the past few days, since connecting by a different gateway,
that at peak-times usage is very laggy and slow, although at low usage times, its fine.
This is backed up by speed-tests.
Is there some kind of load-balancing on these gateways? To get less congestion,
would it be better to reboot my modem at peak times, or when things are quiet?
Zico
Grafter

I did try to see if hoping gateways made a difference but it didn't for me.
The only time I noticed speeds getting better was after 10:30pm to 11pm.
The current gateway message for me is:
195.99.126.139 (195.99.126.139) 2.328 ms
link3-central10.pcl-gw01.plus.net (84.93.249.196) 4.651 ms
Zico
Grafter

Support ticket #115463026 raised.
Zico
Grafter

Here comes the crawl again tonight Sad
The ThinkBroadband monitor shows the congestion this time last night and the beginning tonight.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a7402b9d44b510976fdc05b4e9831c48.html
Zico
Grafter

After having no response back I logged in and saw that my ticket had been closed:
Script User - Automated Script Pool
9:07am, Monday 7 Dec 2015
The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker.
I presume this is just automated (clue in the title) but it doesn't say what, if any, fault had been investigated and/or fixed.
Tonight is back to it's usual crap. Ticket updated, expect no response again Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Sorry for the slow response. I've checked the fault ticket and can see we've identified capacity issues at your local exchange. We expect an update within 72 hours.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Zico
Grafter

Thanks for the response Chris.
Is this likely to be an issue for long? It's annoying at times but If there is a rough eta when things are likely to improve then I will at least have an idea on when things are improving or not.
Zico
Grafter

Update on my ticket. PlusNet have now sorted out my circuit at the exchange and it's now free of the massive congestion at peak times.
Thank you.