cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At last - usage meter returns!

grahamt
Rising Star

At last - usage meter returns!

Wow. I thought it would never happen. After a mere four months or so I'm now (from today) seeing some usage on my 'new network' fibre connection. There's a disclaimer with it:

Data usage is no longer fully accurate

We've made some improvements to our network which will improve your connection to some popular high bandwidth services such as YouTube and Netflix. We will no longer be able to track your usage on these services which means the information below will not accurately reflect your usage

I wonder what these improvements are, and why usage in some cases can't be measured. But it's good news.

8 REPLIES 8
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: At last - usage meter returns!

No longer fully accurate? I wonder how PlusNet expect to rely on such a system to bill those on services that have a usage limit?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Guestimation Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do they bill by Percentile ? like 95% anyway ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Metered customers are not subject to that disclaimer. Customers on Unlimited products see some of their traffic routed around the accounting platform though which is why it's there.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

KevH
Rising Star

No such luck with my usage meter. Been broken for months after working for a short while (after being broken for over a year). I'm on fibre extra so it doesn't matter that much but it is useful to know how much the teenagers are using.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

In which case wouldn't it have made more sense to display the usage for metered customers and remove it completely from unlimited customers.

I guess it might be useful for an unlimited customer to spot something weird happening on their connection but I'm not convinced it's really worth the effort.

grahamt
Rising Star

I think it's worth having. If something strange was going on with connections it probably wouldn't be via the services that are not covered by the meter. (GCHQ/NSA/etc. - there's no need to see that as a challenge. We know you can do it if you really want to.)

tonycollinet
Grafter

Usage meter not working for me...

Also "Not entirely accurate" I think if you are excluding high bandwidth services the phase should be "totally inaccurate and not worth the pixels it is printed on"

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 11.41.16.png