Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rt-n56u - Getting low download speed

zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Asus rt-n56u - Getting low download speed

Hi, I have connected everything up to the openreach modem and gone through latest firmware from Asus website.

Completed all wireless setup, Connected multiple devices all working fine.

Now the problem is my plusnet router got 38mb download all the time wired and wireless, but the n56u freshly installed only gives me about 30 max, I have tried various times of the day and get low as 19 sometimes.

Asked PN and was told to leave it running and hopefully it will pick up???

Can someone who has this router and experienced this please help, I'm sure its something silly as a option within router GUI.

Many Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
zishan
Rising Star

Re: Asus rt-n56u - Getting low download speed

Ive updated the router to pavadan firmware and it has helped.

Family complaining of dropouts, now is that router or plusnet?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Is the router dropping the connection (Check the log file and the status page) or is it just the WiFI misbehaving?

On a mobile phone, try a WiFi Analyzer to check for congestion of WiFi signals in your area. On Android, use "Wifi Analyzer" by farproc, as it is free and simple to use,

Also what DNS servers are you using? If it is the Plusnet ones, you might want to try either Google DNS or opendns (part of Cisco). These can be configured in the router.

Opendns https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/?url=familyshield

Google DNS  https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
zishan
Rising Star

After ringing PN, I was told no fault can be seen, so I left it for another week and tried ringing again. I was told again that test shows all ok.

So I thought lets open a fault ticket online and BEHOLD faults team stated they found fault and will continue to update me.

Can we please give 1st line support guys for tools to see the problems, otherwise like me I'll be brushed off with everything ok here and will after many calls be escalated to faults who found fault within 1 minute of me raising the issue.

Unbelievable, I hope PN compensate me from the original time/date I rang and was flogged off, rather the when I decided to raise a fault online. 

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Well I'm glad that we've located the issue, even if it took some time to find. Hopefully the issue gets resolved soon.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
zishan
Rising Star

Only thing from engineers visit i got was 7mb loss on IP Profile.