cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N66U with FTTC

chrisuk82

Asus RT-N66U with FTTC

Hi guys,
I'm finding my standard Plusnet router to be quite frankly crap for wireless. I'm getting less than 50% signal in the room next door & constant dropouts.
I've done the usual troubleshooting (changing channel, moving away from electric equipment etc), but nothing works.
As such, I've been reading up on the net & see that the Asus RT-N66U router is the one to get. I purchased one before, but wanted to ask what firmware people recommend & the pro's/con'so of each. There seems to be quite a lot of custom firmware out there for this router, so just asking the experts opinions & where they can be sourced from ?
Thanks all
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
Finguz
Grafter

Re: Asus RT-N66U with FTTC

I use the RT-N66U with Merlin's firmware.
I've never had any issues and performance is fantastic  Cool
Get it here
chrisuk82

Thanks mate.
Also found this site, also Merlin firmware, on my phone though so can't check if they are the same yet.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68//Asuswrt-Merlin#2324w3jh7e4q4
Is there a guide to flashing it ?
Thanks
Finguz
Grafter

Just flash it through the router GUI, the same as a standard Asus firmware.
And yes, your link is for the same Merlin.
Make sure to have a read of the forum I linked to though, depending on the firmware you are flashing from you may need to clear your nvram.
It's all explained on the forum, and should there be something you're unsure about, don't hesitate to post there and ask, they're generally a friendly bunch  Wink