cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N66U connection problems

helen21

Asus RT-N66U connection problems

Hello, I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on connection problems I'm having.

We're on fibre - FTTC and currently using the plus net hub one.  I want to switch to using my Asus RT-N66U router and so invested in a TD-W9970 and configured it to bridge mode.  I can see on the stats page that this connects fine.  In fact, if I switch it to PPoE mode and enter my plusnet username and password it connects and I get an Internet connection.  But when I switch it back to bridge mode, connect it to my Asus router it won't connect :(.

I have done a factory default reset on the Asus.  TD-W9970 configured for bridge mode, currently with a LAN IP address of 192.168.2.1.  RJ45 cable going from LAN port on W9970 to the WAN port on the Asus.  Asus is configured with a LAN IP address of 192.168.1.1.

For a bit of fault finding and trying to find where the problem lies I tried to connect the ethernet cable from the TD-W9970 to the RJ-45 WAN port on the hub one to see if that would work - but that also fails to connect.  So one question is should that scenario work?

Prior to this I was on BT ADSL and was using the Asus with a DSL modem fine so not sure why I'm getting these problems.

5 REPLIES 5
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Asus RT-N66U connection problems

Hi

I may be miss-understanding what you are trying to setup, but you should be able to have the TD connect line you would normally so you get internet mode.

Turn DHCP off on the Asus but leave on the TD, then plug an ethernet port from asus into the TD ethernet port and any connections to the Asus will get the gateway IP of the TD internet router.

Or are you trying to get the Asus to establish the PPPoE connection and have traffic route direct to it, and use the TD just as a VDSL modem?

If the latter then a test to try would be get the TD working in bridge mode, then plug your PC into the TD and set up a PPPoE connection from your PC itself to see if that works, you can use wireshark then to look at what is going on on the network as you can see your own traffic.

In theory it should work as the old Openreach modems were just effectively VDSL to ethernet bridges, not sure how to configure up a TD to know what is missing though,

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The 9970 does work in bridge mode, I use one in front of my Draytek 2830 which is configured for PPPoE.

Check that you have VLAN ID set to 101 on the 9970. Also try different LAN ports as I seem to remember different ports can be associated with each service. IIRC when I set mine up I just selected Plusnet_vdsl from the quick setup and then bridge mode. If those suggestions don't help then post back and i'll go check my config tomorrow...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

helen21

Or are you trying to get the Asus to establish the PPPoE connection and have traffic route direct to it, and use the TD just as a VDSL modem?

If the latter then a test to try would be get the TD working in bridge mode, then plug your PC into the TD and set up a PPPoE connection from your PC itself to see if that works, you can use wireshark then to look at what is going on on the network as you can see your own traffic.

In theory it should work as the old Openreach modems were just effectively VDSL to ethernet bridges, not sure how to configure up a TD to know what is missing though,

Hi, yes, I want the TD just as a modem bridging the traffic through to the Asus that will then handle all the routing.  I'll look at setting up a PPoE connection via the TD from my Mac tomorrow and maybe get a bit more of an idea as to what is going on network wise.

helen21

That's exactly how I set mine up - just selected Plusnet_vdsl and configured bridge mode.  I'll check the VLAN ID though.  I did try LAN ports 1 and 4 but didn't try 2 and 3, but I guess that has to be worth a go.  I'll do some more testing in the morning - if I start messing with the Internet connection at this time in the evening I'll get in trouble!

dallascriftins

I have the exact same setup I switched from ASUS > Vigor 120 to ASUS > TD-W9970

I could not get the Asus to connect to the internet via the Lan/Wan port (the one nearest the RH antenna) on the TD-W9970, but as soon as I connected The Asus to port 1 of the TD-W9970 it worked without any other changes other than putting the TD-W9970 into Bridge mode obviously.