cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N66U cant connect to PlusNet One Hub

Barlew

Asus RT-N66U cant connect to PlusNet One Hub

Been with PlusNet for almost 3 years now and very happy.  My set up was Netgear DG834N in modem only mode to Asus RT-N66U Router.  This was a great set up and i love the Asus.  4 day ago i move to Plusnet's Unlimited Fiber Extra package and I've been hitting my head against the wall ever since.....
I have ditched the Netgear as i just couldn't configure it to connect the the Fiber signal so im sticking with the One Hub.  This can successfully get the fiber signal and from its GIG port 4 to PC over LAN i can access its management pages and connect to the internet.  All Good.  Turning off its Wi-Fi and WPS I plug a LAN cable into GIG port 1 and the other end into the blue WAN port on the Asus router.  Accessing the Asus management pages i run the Quick Internet Setup wizard, select Yes to 'My Internet connection type is PPPoE', enter my user@plusdsl.net and password and click Start.  The 'Start to detect you connection type' message appears, shortly followed by the popup warning, 'Detecting the Internet connection type timed out.'.......... and there lies the problem.  How can i get the Asus to detect the signal from the One Hub?
Tried connecting Plusnet support, but as the Asus is 3rd party, so they cant help.  I've factory reset the One Hub and Asus RT-N66U several times, tested the connecting cable for faults... running out of ideas...
Any help would very very appreciated 🙂
6 REPLIES 6
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Asus RT-N66U cant connect to PlusNet One Hub

Hi and welcome to the PN forum
The Hub One does not have a modem only mode so is unsuitable for use in the way you describe.  Your best bet is to buy a BT FTTC modem from eBay and use that in conjunction with your Asus router.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Or you could configure the Asus as a wireless access point only and turn DHCP off on the Asus and ensure the IP address is in the same pool range as the PN Hub one.
NE.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Bit of conflicting advice above! First of all the Hub one does the username and password bit, so no need to enter those settings on the asus.
You can either let the Hub one do dhcp, or you can change the IP address range on one of the routers, currently they will both be 192.x.x.x.
Do a quick search on here or google for a more detailed description.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The advice that NorthEasterner and I gave is not conflicting.   I interpreted the request for help that the OP wished to continue to use the Asus as the router and advised accordingly.  NorthEasterner correctly points out that, if the OP is happy to use the Hub One as the router, he can use the Asus as an access point.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

He can also do as I have suggested, he just needs to tweak the configuration of one of the routers. No need to go buying a modem.
roberto2212
Grafter

On hub one put 192.168.1.252 to DMZ and on asus router set static ip + static dns on wan, next in lan option set 192.168.0.1 (default is 192.168.1.1 and will be conflict with hub one.) set static dns lan same like static dns wan. That' all.If you wants port forward put ip on asus any ip 192.168.0.1...254 plus port.