cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-AC68U router - to buy or not to buy? That is the question...

steveinhosm
Dabbler

Asus RT-AC68U router - to buy or not to buy? That is the question...

My new Plusnet FTTC service is let down very badly by the appalling wi-fi range performance of the £5.99 router.
I can't even use it in an adjacent room, despite careful placement and much adjustment to try to eke out a better signal.
To cut my losses, I'm thinking of buying an Asus RT-AC 68U router which, I assume, will work as a stand-alone unit without having to use the Open Reach modem.
Does anyone reading this forum have any experience of this device and, if so, can you recommend it?
Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Asus RT-AC68U router - to buy or not to buy? That is the question...

I don't have that router but I am pretty sure it doesn't have a built in VDSL modem, meaning you would still need the separate OpenReach modem.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

but I am pretty sure it doesn't have a built in VDSL modem
Correct, you need the DSL-AC68U for the built-in VDSL modem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Looks like that model (modem) is only an extra 10 pounds from Amazon.
AndyH
Grafter

Asus make great routers, but their modems are pretty poor and really do not work well with the Openreach network.
NoZephy
Rising Star

I agree with Andy, the router side of the Asus products are great but I've seen a ton of threads filled with issues when it comes to the modem side and syncing up via VDSL2.
If I were you I'd stick with the Openreach modem for the sync and get an Asus router that doesn't have a modem built in and just use it as a router.
ricke17
Grafter

I ended up buying the DSL-AC68U and although I found it tricky to set up, I managed to do it ok and even fathomed out how to do the IPTV too.
I think it is ok, does everything I want it to do.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
NoZephy
Rising Star

How does the DSL-AC68U compare with your previous setup? Any notable improvements?
I've always looked at getting an Asus router but i've felt that they are more catered towards the American market than the British. It does seem like recent firmware updates have been helping but for the most part I'm still seeing quite a fair bit of complaint threads when it comes to Asus routers.
I'm a bit of a nut with modems/routers, love to have a bit of everything Cheesy
steveinhosm
Dabbler

Thanks all - I can't tell you how grateful I am for each and every reply.
Much appreciated, especially for the comments relating to the modem part of this particular make of router.
If there are any other models I should consider - including Liz Hurley and suchlike! - please let me know.
NoZephy
Rising Star

Lucky for you, Kitz has a thread just for that purpose Wink
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0
Give them all a good look over and see which best fits your needs
AshPowell
Grafter

The router is decent.. It's so easy to set up.. literally just select Plusnet from the list and enter your username and password.
Unfortunately the modem brand is rubbish and CRC errors go through the roof with most peoples connections. You can tweak a lot of settings to get the best from your line, but my next router/modem will definitely be one with a broadcom chip